Weed that you hate the most

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is one weed in your garden or yard that you hate the most. This weed would be the one that tortures you most in life. I think mine has to be bamboo. Once it spreads in your yard, the r is not much more you can do than mow it down or resort to extreme measures. It spreads like a vegetative wildfire!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh they're extremely invasive, nothing short of ripping out all the rhizomes will get rid of them but there's ways to contain them from spreading. It takes a lot of forethought and planning haha.

For me it's mint. I love it and it's awesome but give it the right conditions and it'll take over everything.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The Small Nettle.

Hurts a lot more than the normal stinging nettle, and you don't usually see it before it gets you :eek:

Reaction score
Bindweed. I once thought I could kill it by mulching it: nope! When it poked its evil head above the deep mulch I went to pull it and the shoot was about 5 feet long! That is almost as long as I am tall!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
What is one weed in your garden or yard that you hate the most. This weed would be the one that tortures you most in life.
Those which develop a thick and hard stem. It is very hard to remove when it establishes in the wrong place (walls, cracks on the sidewalk and other undesirable places).

Need to stay vigilant. :coffee:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
What is one weed in your garden or yard that you hate the most. This weed would be the one that tortures you most in life. I think mine has to be bamboo. Once it spreads in your yard, the r is not much more you can do than mow it down or resort to extreme measures. It spreads like a vegetative wildfire!
Pass on those bamboos to me.

Weed that mingles with the lawn is what I hate the most. We need to spend whopping amounts to engage labour to get rid of this weed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't like nettles, because touching them hurts.
But I love all other weeds. Most of them are adorable little plants and they're always welcome in my garden and my pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bindweed. I once thought I could kill it by mulching it: nope! When it poked its evil head above the deep mulch I went to pull it and the shoot was about 5 feet long! That is almost as long as I am tall!
I have to second this. I almost lost a purple leaf sand cherry to this strangling vine last year. I had to dig the tree up, and wash all the dirt from the roots to make sure there was not the tiniest piece of vine still attached to my poor little tree, then replant in a different location, all the while keeping a close eye on it for a few weeks. Turn your back for a couple or three days, and this vine will squeeze the life outta anything nearby.
If you are not into chemical warfare, you need to pull the vine on a daily bases, until it has lost all strength to grow anymore. The best time is early morning before the leaves start to unfurl.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
But I love all other weeds. Most of them are adorable little plants and they're always welcome in my garden and my pots.

Oh, this question resonates with me because I am the weeder on the flower farm. I am pretty certain that I am the only one who likes to do this task. I can spend hours listening to my music and weeding. Other spend about ten minutes with me and have had enough.

Claudine, you sound like you have such a sweet heart by allowing most of your weeds to be welcome in your garden. For us to allow this happen would be a big mess. Out int the field, the weeds will grow faster then the flowers starting to blossom. The weeds block the sun, take away the nutrients, and are a haven for snakes.

But, oh I hear you, when it comes to thistles! I always scream aloud, ouch! I am so thankful, right now, the thistle are young, thus no thorns, yet! I feel like I am in a race against time. Soon enough, they will be out in full force.

Reaction score

Bamboo is very definitely one plant that I could never class as a weed - but maybe that is because I've been growing it for many, many years - as I love the beauty of it - but that said - as I mentioned once before when discussing this topic - there really is only one way that it can be got rid of once it has become invasive and that is by using the extremely labor intensive process mentioned here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/bamboo.4007/

especially as - mowing is in fact making the problem worse - as it encourages it grow faster and further each time that you do it - as like I mentioned before - what you see on the surface - is nothing compared to what the rhizomes are doing underground.
-

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Claudine, you are such a kind soul and a wonderful person. I agree with you on the nettles, they do hurt when you touch them. I used to get attacked by them all the time when I was young as we played in the woods a lot. I remember that they would first sting, and then I would get itchy bumps thereafter, mostly on my hands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I actually didn't realize what a pest forget-me- knots can be. Very pretty for a short while but horrible sticky things to tidy up when looking yucky and they turn up absolutely everywhere in your garden. Probably not classed as a weed but I think they behave like one.(n)

Ask a Question