Watering your Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I remember asking this question a month or so ago. The consensus was that the plants should be soaked once a week. Lately, it's been raining once or twice a week; however, it's 100F during the day if not more. Should I still water once a week if it does not rain, or should I change the watering pattern given the outrageous temperature?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I remember asking this question a month or so ago. The consensus was that the plants should be soaked once a week. Lately, it's been raining once or twice a week; however, it's 100F during the day if not more. Should I still water once a week if it does not rain, or should I change the watering pattern given the outrageous temperature?
Water only when your plants need it whether it rains or not or how hot it is. When your plants are wilted or droopy IN THE MORNING it is time to water them. It is normal for them to droop or wilt in the hot afternoons. There is no set schedule for watering, but a good soaking about once a week in dry weather is usually all that is required

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The simple answer is that it depends on your plants. Some plants can go a long time without needing to be watered.

Reaction score
I always water mine when they look a bit droopy and dry. No loss no complaints so far ;) That way you make sure you are not over watering your plants. Better safe than sorry! Plus this is not a problem, unless you are dealing with African violets. But most plants are OK if you do this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also Ferice it is better to water during the morning instead of the evening that way the plants will have a chance to dry completely and reduce the chance for mildew and diseases. the temps here in august in texas are avg about 95-99 and it takes lots of water to keep them doing good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It depends on the plants needing to be soaked or not. This is a tropical country and the summer heat is sometimes unbearable for the plants so we put some sort of a shade to lessen the heat otherwise the leaves of some plants would wilt and may cause death if neglected. During hot summer, we water the plants in the early morning with a hose. We spray the entire plants for a minute or so for the water to penetrate. That will serve them in good stead for the coming daytime heat.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been suggested to water when the plant is droopy to avoid over watering. My peace plant lets me know I have been not watering it by getting very droopy, I do try to stick to a schedule but when I get busy it does happen.

Ask a Question