Watering Plants

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
How do you water your plants? Do you use watering cans or you have electric pumps to pump water to your garden? (On hot dry summers) I saw some farmers living in a low land where they use gravity to water their plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mostly Mother Nature takes care of it! I haven't watered my lawn or trees or anything that grows "native" for years. We tend to get plenty of rain here.
For the veggies and container plants, if we have numerous dry days in a row (rarely happens) I have a 100-foot hose.
When I lived in a much drier climate I used soaker hoses in the vegetable garden. And the lawn was mostly clover, so quite drought-tolerant. I'd set out sprinklers occasionally when it started to get crispy.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't water much. Only in times of drought, which we're in right now. My tomatoes can withstand it. I just use a watering can. Other than tomatoes, I just have native wildflowers which do just fine in most conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just use my hose to water my plants or rain water that I have collected. Carrying the watering can hurts my tendonitis wrists, so I avoid carrying heavy things as much as I can!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most years we get a lot of rain and so plants just have to be watered every now and then. This summer I think we have literally had 2 days of rain and so I have been forced to water everything. I use a hose and just lightly aim at the base of the plant and then give the leaves a sprinkle every once in a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
By hand if I havd rainwater collected. When I run out of that, low flow irrigation and sprinkler systdm.

grandchildren runnjng through sprinkler too. Multitasking :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/URL/?ARLGN 28 May 2009 Watering Plant Roots.
This method gets water to the root area of the plants. The hydraulic effect of the water makes pushing the wand into the ground effortless. The device is made by cutting off the end of a typical water garden wand as sold in most hardware stores.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WLOBC 1 June 2014 Watering Tomato plants.
Rainwater collected in four barrels is used to water the garden.The water is transported to the garden area in a wheelbarrow with a milk carton to limit wave action and spilling. Each plant (25) received one bucket full of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Watering Methods
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XRXAU 21 June 2012 Watering Methods.
I seldom water except for very young plants, and extreme dry conditions. I don’t have a sprinkler on the property, and consider them inefficient and not very effective, except for watering grass. I never water grass. To inhibit moisture loss from hot Sun evaporation all areas of the garden are mulched with wood chips.

Usually I utilize my four barrels of rain water. The wheelbarrow is used to transport the rainwater to the garden area, utilizing a milk cartoon carrier(or egg carton carrier)as a baffle to prevent spillage due to wave action when moving the wheelbarrow.

In extreme dry conditions it is necessary to use tap water.The tap water is delivered to the plant root system using a water wand cut off and pushed into the requires area. I call it the Magic Water Wand. In the main garden it is quick to walk along a row and push the wand into the ground every few feet and get the water to roots, where it is required.The foliage is not wetted, and there is little wastage of water.

Reaction score
The few plants that are outdoors right now (the only ones I got left) are watered by mother nature ;) I no longer take care of those plants (I'm thinking of giving them away, but can't find someone who might want to take them in). They are doing fine, if they were really dry I'd water them for sure, but so far mother nature has taken care of that :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I seldom water my plants. During the rainy season, the rain water takes care of that. However, if it is very dry outside and I see the potted plants with weeds inside the pot looking brown, I would consider watering the plants, in which case I would use a watering can. However, I would be back and forth with the watering can since I do not like to fill it right up making it too cumbersome to carry. It would take about 3 trips to water the few potted plants that are there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I use a galvanized watering can from Ikea. It's big and very pretty. It's all I need:) I don't have a garden yet, all my plants grow indoors, so it's very easy to water them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a fairly big gardening area at our house, and usually rely on the good lot to water the plants for us. In the event that we are in a drought, we pull out the hoses and do it manually. Being on a well system really helps us in the Midwest! We do not have to worry about a high water bill due to watering the garden or lawn areas. Luckily, the last few years have been very generous for us in the rain department.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Honestly, the most I do with gardening is sharing work in watering the plants. But my favorite tool is the garden hose that we bought online. The nozzle has a good sprinkler that I'm sure the plants would enjoy. As per the instruction of the official gardener (my husband), it is good for plants to get wet not only the roots but also the leaves. However, spare the mango tree of the spray of water when it is flowering because the flowers will be ruined when it gets wet.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Terracotta watering bells, or thumb pots, are nice for seedlings. I like a watering can with the sprinkle head facing up for container gardens. A hose works well for larger areas.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
We mostly grow drought tolerant plants like bananas and these don't require much rain. As for other cross like maize and potatoes, we depend on the rains which come in three seasons. I have a garden near a stream and when I grow water intensive horticultural crops, I depend on manual irrigation using watering cans.

Ask a Question