Watering question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What did you use for product?
How much grass and how much product did you put down?
I used Scott's Weed and Feed. I have 46,000 square feet of grass in my yard and I put down the amount suggested on the Scott's bag using my Scott's broadcast spreader, as per their suggestion. I wrote to Scott's and told them their Weed and Feed didn't do s**t for the weeds in my yard. A representative responded with a lengthy email, which shows they actually read my email, and gave some recommendations. She wrote, "We're sorry that the Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed 3 did not control the weeds as expected. Occasionally, even when products are used correctly, weeds fail to die and we simply can't identify why." At least they were honest and said their product does fail and they don't know why.

Be that as it may, she also recommended Ortho® WeedClear Lawn Weed Killer. This stuff supposedly kills over 250 weeds down to the root including, dandelions, wild violet, clover, oxalis, chickweed, knotweed, plantain, henbit & spurge. Maybe I'll give this stuff a go. The Weed and Feed has a residual of 6-8 weeks and it's already been about seven weeks, so I'll have to do some calculating as to how much of the Ortho I'd need. This stuff gets pricey.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes , a selective lawn gets expensive
18,000 sqft here and its about $1000 in product . I dont irrigate so jo water expense.
With that much lawn and wanting it weed free, a larger tow behind sprayer might be useful.
46k sqft I would not be using a Scotts Spreader unless its broken up into small units?
Ever calibrate your spreadet?

I would be planning a pre emergent application soon.

I would also be pushing Scotts on thier Guaranty

For Lawn Food, Seed, and other Lawn Care Plan Products:​

If for any reason you, the end-user consumer, are not satisfied with the performance of your Scotts product, we will refund to you the purchase price or provide you with a replacement Scotts product. Please contact Customer Service at 1-888-270-3714 or email us. Proof of purchase will be required for refund or replacement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Scotts weed and feed directions say 2.86 lbs per 1000 sqft and using a scotts rotary spreader they are say 3 1/2 setting
So 3 bags of there 15,000 sqft bag would have been what they suggest.
Did it kill any weeds?
I had a out break of Dallis grass, barnyard grass or “feed” grass and it was a pita to clear out. I did a lot of manual pulling.
Scotts also states 30 days

Do you have pictures of your are and weeds
Might be time to go to a more “commercial” product vs the home stores.
Buying ortho by the gallon is going to get expensive.
Even something like speed zone
Small bottle $40 will make 20 gallons or so

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes , a selective lawn gets expensive
18,000 sqft here and its about $1000 in product . I dont irrigate so jo water expense.
With that much lawn and wanting it weed free, a larger tow behind sprayer might be useful.
46k sqft I would not be using a Scotts Spreader unless its broken up into small units?
Ever calibrate your spreadet?

I would be planning a pre emergent application soon.

I would also be pushing Scotts on thier Guaranty

For Lawn Food, Seed, and other Lawn Care Plan Products:​

If for any reason you, the end-user consumer, are not satisfied with the performance of your Scotts product, we will refund to you the purchase price or provide you with a replacement Scotts product. Please contact Customer Service at 1-888-270-3714 or email us. Proof of purchase will be required for refund or replacement.
Yes, I plan on contacting them and seeing about a refund or a different product.

Ask a Question