Another Tomato Watering Question.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hey everyone:

I recently installed a drip system on my three indeterminates which, by the way, are doing very well considering some pretty extreme temps in August. They are planted in plain old Oklahoma dirt. On the watering system, I attached 2 GPH drip emitters to each plant. But now I'm asking, if they are getting 2 gallons per hour, how many gallons total should I be giving these things? I realize that each plant will be different based on it's size and other considerations, but are there ballpark ideas of what I should be looking at?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey everyone:

I recently installed a drip system on my three indeterminates which, by the way, are doing very well considering some pretty extreme temps in August. They are planted in plain old Oklahoma dirt. On the watering system, I attached 2 GPH drip emitters to each plant. But now I'm asking, if they are getting 2 gallons per hour, how many gallons total should I be giving these things? I realize that each plant will be different based on it's size and other considerations, but are there ballpark ideas of what I should be looking at?

Thank you!
I am on a drip system too (1/2 gph. I find that 2 gallons @ 1/2gph is just about right but I also have about 3" of mulch around the plant too. If in doubt go out to the drip line of your plant and dig down about 6" and see if you are watering enough. It should be moist but not wet at that depth

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
2GPH for 1 hr will water far more than 1/2gph for 4 hrs, as the much more of the slower drip will evaporate off, even with the mulch.
If both soils were similar, I'd reckon that the 2gph would need to be on 1/2 the time.
Further, in our discussion about cauliflowers, Chuck made me aware that his soil was light and sandy, so, unless yours is, cut in half again, perhaps not quite.
I'd suggest 20 mins to start with, and see how it goes.

Ask a Question