Watering and Fertilizing question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading about watering and fertilizing my Monstera and orange Bird of Paradise. I water them when they get "dry" all the way through. Usually once every 3 weeks.

I also see that I need to fertilize twice a month in the growing season.

Does it mean I need to fertilize every time I water?

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
More people hurt their plants with fertilizer, than help them without knowing why. There are two methods of fertilization which Greenhouses and indoor growers use. One is to feed a very low dose with every watering and the other is feed heavy once every 2 months. Now if the nursery that you purchased the plant from, fed the plant time-release fertilizer, when the plant was first growing then you shouldn't fed at all. So take a photo of the plants in question and post them so I can tell you if you need to add fertilizer now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got them in the fall (all around 10-12" tall). Both are doing very well. I fertilized them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Up until now, I only had to water them every 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
Country
United States
The dark color in the leaves tells me you don't need any fertilizer at this time. Just water as you have been doing maybe just a little more often. Use your finger and stick it down the side of the pot and when the top inch is dry, water.

Ask a Question