Want to eat some pretty flowers?

Reaction score
I didn't realize so many commonly known flowers are edible. I have eaten clover flowers. When my son was in scouts he went on a wilderness survival weekend and had to survive for 24 hours on foods he found in nature. In "solidarity" with him I ate some clover when I picked him up.

Can't remember now where it was but my Mom and a friend went to a restaurant nearby at which each person had an edible flower served with the meal. You weren't allowed to order dessert unless/until you ate the flower.

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your find! I actually created a thread on this, but most members knew very little about edible flowers!!!! It's amazing this article has a list with 42 edible flowers! Just wow! I'm going to check it, I'm sure you can make some really neat salads with some of those yummy flowers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We've been talking about flower desserts and other delicious foods here, but I had no idea that so many plants are edible! Thank you for sharing this article, it's very interesting. I would have never guessed that English Daisies are bitter. They look so sweet!:p

Reaction score
Cheerio - although I know there are a few threads on this topic already, until reading the article that you posted, had no idea just how many flowers are actually edible and in particular gladioli and citrus blossoms, the latter of which I often use as a table decoration with floating candles - but never realized I could eat them :D not that I think I will, as I'm sure that the strong citrus fragrance could well and truly disguise the flavor of anything that it was added to :D
Many thanks for sharing the article with us, especially as its both informative and interesting :)

Reaction score
We've been talking about flower desserts and other delicious foods here, but I had no idea that so many plants are edible! Thank you for sharing this article, it's very interesting. I would have never guessed that English Daisies are bitter. They look so sweet!:p

I know right? I was quite surprised after reading this article myself as well! I thought there were just very few edible flowers out there, but surprise! surprise! that's not the case :D

Reaction score
Pansy's are edible as are nasturtiums, borage and dandelions. Not only are many flowers edible but they have medicinal value. Most of the herbs that I grow I use for herbal remedies that are extremely effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Firelily99, can you tell us more about medicinal values of flowers? It's interesting!
I haven't thought of borage before. Food decorated with it looks more than lovely, here is an example:

DSC_0028-412x600.jpg

Reaction score
While we wait for our gardens to once again start growing we can plan and dream, right? What if we could have a garden of pretty flowers that we could also eat? I came across this article and thought right away that it would be something that many of you would find interesting.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/42-flowers-you-can-eat.html

Wow, I had no idea so many flowers were edible. This was news to me.
Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot from this.

Reaction score
This is only a partial list of all the edible flowers that grow around the world. I'm sure the author of the article only chose some of those that were most commonly heard of. I knew there were a couple other threads on the topic but I posted this because I thought the article in itself was a good topic. At our local farmer's market, one of the vendors brings a 'spring salad mix' that contains several types of flowers along with the early garden greens. I can't wait until it's time again for that. Not only was it pretty, it was tasty too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What an amazing list of edible flowers, and they are so pretty for decorating the dishes too. I will save this link for guidance in the summer and will start my eating these flowers :)

Reaction score
I love the taste of violets. I order the violet mints and violet gum from Amazon.
I had a bad experience with some lavender cupcakes that tasted like soap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What do violets taste like, ACSAPA? Are they sweet? Violet mints sound wonderful!:) I must look for them in online stores. Violets have always been one of my favorite plants, because they smell really lovely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
One of my favorite edible flowers is the "daylily", which is not a lily. Most true lilys are toxic, but the daylily is of a different group of plants. It is more tasty than many other edibles, and I remember it has good food value.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of flowers are edible. I did not realize this. I'm going to have to start adding flower petals to my salads from now on. It would look so pretty! I apparently have quite a few edible flowers growing in my garden. I have also always wanted to try making Dandelion Wine, Lavender Lemonade and Lavender Cookies.

Ask a Question