Voodoo Lilly-Amorphophallus Konjac

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i was given some small bulbs (approx inch wide) of these at christmas but does anybody know what size the bulb has to be to get a decent flower or the growth rate of the bulbs?Thank you x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States

I have quite a few Amorphophallus but I don't know which is which. I think they just need to get established where they will be living. I have them in pots in the greenhouse. After that, they bloom every year...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i was given some small bulbs (approx inch wide) of these at christmas but does anybody know what size the bulb has to be to get a decent flower or the growth rate of the bulbs?Thank you x
When I read the title of your thread @Joolz, I thought :eek:oh no.... the stinky one, but wasn't sure, so looked it up. Evidently those are tubers, and the ones I looked at were about the same size as the palm of my hand. It seems that although they are stinky when they bloom (they smell fishy) they are useful for all kinds of medicinal purposes, and are also used in China and Japan etc for culinary use. So, I reckon it might be a ''plant it and see'' exercise - let us know, and have a peg ready for your nose. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,thank you,that looks a big one! @waretrop x

I have a Dracunculus Vulgaris that stinks!:) ,i just leave that anywhere in the pot so im hoping i can do the same with the Voodoo ,no intention of using it to mimmick a fish finger sandwich now you have inform me :LOL: @Tetters x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
but does anybody know what size the bulb has to be to get a decent flower or the growth rate of the bulbs?
Nope! I lost mine in an unexpected -3°c frost in November.

My Dracunculus are just emerging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Nope! I lost mine in an unexpected -3°c frost in November.

My Dracunculus are just emerging.
Sorry to hear that @longk il post you half of my midget gem sized bulbs if you want to try again? x
I had better find my pot with my Drac in im sure its still outside..is your in the greenhouse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Well, Just lookie at all that we have here.... I have vulgaris also and a number of others. Must go out and see what they are doing these days. I think mine bloom much later toward spring..I love all your pics.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
LOL.. I just knew this conversation would be leading this way...

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i was given some small bulbs (approx inch wide) of these at christmas but does anybody know what size the bulb has to be to get a decent flower or the growth rate of the bulbs?
I would say 4 to 6 inches across. May take a couple of years. Mine live in large pots in the greenhouse. They large decorative foliage acts as summer shading for some more delicate plants. I keep them dry in winter as fungal rot is the biggest problem.

Ask a Question