Vintage Christmas Decorations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I like vintage decorations. As a kid I remember we had some pre-war Christmas tree lights. They were really big compared with modern ones. The problem was that you couldn't get spares and they were mains voltage (220/240) connected in series. So any that failed meant none worked. Of course you could shorten the wire and reduce the number of lamps, but that pushed up the voltage of each lamp which was highly dangerous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As little kids we did the popcorn on strings, also colored paper garland.
https://blog.retroplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/retro-paper-garland-450x247.jpg

We also put Suet (beef fat) out for the birds.

Interesting little walk down memory lane,...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
somewhere in our basement, we have the little old fashioned hooks that they used to use on the tree to set the real candles in them. have to look for them. unless husband took it up to an auction house. try to look for them.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I used to use tinsel but not anymore. Don't have any vintage Christmas decorations, all from a few years ago, led lights and white and clear baubles and ornaments for the tree. When i was a lot younger, used to make decorations with the crepe paper in different colours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As a kid I was fortunate to grow up in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This was a Christmas destination for most of Michigan because of the department stores downtown. The two big department stores decorated like crazy and of course they had Santa Claus for the kids. If you want to get an idea of what it was like you can watch the movie featuring Tom Hanks called Polar Express.

Ask a Question