Victoria used to be fruity, but now lacking perfomance :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Victoria plumb tree (self fertilising, supermarket job) that's about seven years old, and for the past three or four years all I get is about six plumbs.
Allmost all of the plumbs that start growing turned yellow and dropped off.

The old leaves are dark green, young leaves are light green, nothing unusual, a bit of sap on the bark here and there.
I had to cut back the limbs two years ago as it was getting way too big, and I keep the new growth back which is rampant. It seems all the energy is going in to the trees growing than producing fruit.

Anyhow, any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is not flowering. Your research question is "why is my plum not flowering?". Could you tell us about your context? Soil, Geolocation, pH, fertilizing and water habits etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Bear It is good to have you on board. Welcome to the forums. Maybe you will find this link helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is flowering! :) Bees all over it.
The second year we got quite a few plumbs, then , bbbbbbrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm far too daft to talk forensics, but I do know that if plants are ''pruned'' at the wrong time you can lose all the fruit. Most of the orchards around here (Garden of England - Kent) have pollinators at the end of every row, and bee hives everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm far too daft to talk forensics, but I do know that if plants are ''pruned'' at the wrong time you can lose all the fruit. Most of the orchards around here (Garden of England - Kent) have pollinators at the end of every row, and bee hives everywhere.
The Lady is very advanced in her knowledge of the subjects. Forensics or otherwise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dropping, yellowing fruit is a sign of poor pollination. Even though this is a self fertile tree poor pollination can result from everything from pruning at the wrong time of the year, insects not showing up or showing up late to tree stress due to multiple factors including nutrition. Also, self fertile trees like Victoria produce MUCH better if there is a different variety of plum tree nearby. Just because a tree is self fertile doesn't necessarily mean it will produce.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for your advice.
I think I'll get one of those bamboo bumble bee homes, can't hurt, and another plumb tree. Would you recommend a green gage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you all for your advice.
I think I'll get one of those bamboo bumble bee homes, can't hurt, and another plumb tree. Would you recommend a green gage?
This link should help

Ask a Question