Veggie frustration

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Morning everyone,
im a bit of a novice when it comes to veggies with varied success. My go to has been veggie mix soils from landscape suppliers with good and bad results. I’m about to embark on a large new are with custom built raised beds. Does anyone know where I can source the correct soil?

thankyou

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
To a point, it depends on what you want to grow. Different plants have different ideals but there's lots of overlap and close enough.

Soil can be fixed, but you need to know what you're starting with. Most areas have labs that will analyze your soil sample and give you a baseline. Amendments can be added to correct deficiencies.

In other words, fix the soil you have vs chancing new soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Gramon farm .
I think you are right to be concerned about the soil conditions in your area of Western Australia, as it is generally very sandy indeed with little substance. It would, however be well worth getting your soil tested to see for sure what is needed.
There are a few things you can add to increase organic material, but it would be best to check with gardeners in your own particular area to find the necessary sources.
A local botanic garden would be a good place to start asking questions. Animal manure, well rotted is valuable, as is seaweed if you can find it. Good luck.

PS as an afterthought, mushroom compost is usually good if you can get it after it comes from the mushroom beds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day @Gramon farm.
The landscape suppliers here in SA supply all you need including _ compost, manures, sands, mushroom compost etc. Filling raised beds can be expensive and has been discussed a lot on this forum. Look under 'search' and the most recent is A. Lyric's "What to fill a new raised bed with" Sept.3 2023 under general gardening talk. Also, a ten-page thread on "How to cheaply fill ...." by Meadowlark Oct. 2022 under this topic.
If you have got a farm, you can probably grow your own soil by planting nitrogenous crops and slashing and composting. It's also wise to fill the bottom of the beds with gravel, rocks or rotting timber (hügelkultur).

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day @Gramon farm.
The landscape suppliers here in SA supply all you need including _ compost, manures, sands, mushroom compost etc. Filling raised beds can be expensive and has been discussed a lot on this forum. Look under 'search' and the most recent is A. Lyric's "What to fill a new raised bed with" Sept.3 2023 under general gardening talk. Also, a ten-page thread on "How to cheaply fill ...." by Meadowlark Oct. 2022 under this topic.
If you have got a farm, you can probably grow your own soil by planting nitrogenous crops and slashing and composting. It's also wise to fill the bottom of the beds with gravel, rocks or rotting timber (hügelkultur).
Thankyou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I have much to add to what redback said, but it would be interesting to hear what you try and what results you get.
Welcome to the forum.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You don't need a farm to grow your own superior soil. See the thread:

That thread demonstrates you can build superior soil in as little as one container with the application of organic gardening techniques. The resulting soil is far superior to any commercial product plus it is completely 100% chemical free, totally renewable, and costs only a handful of seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But if you've got a farm, you can grow large crops to produce the necessary volume. .....
The volume necessary for personal support can be grown on a lot less than a farm. Agricultural workers used to get a cottage and half an acre, they grew half as wheat and the other half veg, kept some chickens , and lived off it. With modern cultivars and improved growing methods it should be possible with less than that. Dad used to reckon you could supprt a small family from an area about the size of two tennis courts, he had a first in agriculture, but that was back in about 1930.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes, you are right. I don't have a farm and I produce enough, but if you have one...

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'ay Gramon Farm,
There is a soil scientist working out of UniWA called Dr. Christine Jones and she does a lot of YouTube videos. According to her, if you plant a multi-species crop, even on poor soil, you will generate a hosts of soil nutrients. I tried it last year on my clay soil and the weeds grew well on very poor soil. She recommends the types of plants to form a desirable mix as follows.
Plantain, red clover, chicory, peas, ryegrass, lucerne, beets, fescue, dandelion and cocksfoot.
Ther are other combinations as well. She's worth listening to IMHO.

Ask a Question