Using human waste

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In Viet Nam they used 2 buckets, one on each end of a stick. In Turkey they used dump trucks that would go down the ally ways and people would pour it out of 2nd and 3rd floor windows. I once saw an Air Force officer standing on a street corner when a truck full of the stuff made the turn and it sloshed out, covering him completely. I saw great humor in that but he didn't seem pleased at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
LOL Chuck, sounds like something out of the Middle Ages! They used to do the same thing in Europe.
I would be hesitant to use human waste for a few reasons. First, I would be worried about parasites and diseases, though this is probably a concern with any animal waste. Second, herbivore waste provides more nutrients to the soil than does omnivore or carnivore waste. I read somewhere that ruminants produce the best quality dung fertilizer because of their digestive process. If you don't have anything else, I suppose you could use human waste, but there are better alternatives.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there's 8 billion humans on the planet, so we gotta put it somewhere :rolleyes:

Ask a Question