Using herbicides near raised bed? Alternative?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy,

I’m getting tired of pulling weeds between these stones in my backyard, and I’m looking for something to just nuke them. I’m ok with a temporary fix as I know they will come back. As long as I can pour something all over this area relatively safely a few times a year. I have a raised bed (approx 3.5 ft high) that I’d imagine wouldn’t be affected, but just wanted to see if anyone had ideas. Before I posted here, I was thinking about dumping loads of vinegar, but that seems a little excessive for the area I’m trying to cover.

EDIT: The pictures below look pretty tame, but this is after I’ve put a few hours in today getting it under control. And this is a monthly task haha.

IMG_8100.jpeg
IMG_8101.jpeg
IMG_8102.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What about boiling water?

I've tried straight 5% vinegar with unsatisfactory results.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You have a good bit of Bermuda in there...and to get it you need to break out the big guns.

Glyphosate applied according to the label will knock it out and everything plant it touches. It is an indiscriminate killer, so use with care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glysophates or their cousins are real labor savers but, using them must be done with a lot of care. Herbicide drift can and will happen with extreme ease. I have made the mistake of thinking there was no wind and my plants paid the price but there is a remedy. You probably already have one laying around someplace.. Just mix up a gallons worth of Roundup in a bucket. You still have to be careful to not get it on your plants but the wind drift factor is gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Or plant some type of beneficial or attractive creeper like white star that will be dense and keep the weeds out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We use one of those gas powered burners. Not sure if there are any negatives to it, but we haven't yet discovered any.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Buy a tiger torch and turn them into dust. Repeat as needed. Not only is it 100% results but it's crazy fun too! 😂

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Places like around the central a/c unit you can use vinegar with dish soap. I used that on a tree stump a couple days ago that kept growing shoots out of it and they are as dead as dead can be now. Although so is the grass around it now.

Ask a Question