What is causing my tomato stems to curl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 different tomato plant varieties in my garden this year. 2 were started from heirloom seed by a friend and 2 were bought at a local plant sale in Colorado.

I have delt with blight, leaf curl, and probably other diseases that I was unable to identify. This looks different. The leaves look good, but the stems are developing a tight curl. ➰

I have very deep raised beds that I topped with new soil, I planted my tomatoes with blended eggshells and some 6-4-4 at the bottom of their very deep holes. I have pruned all stems 6" above the dirt.

This year, I also spread out my plans and planted marigolds liberally throughout. The other 3 plants seem to be growing pretty well. However, this one started this behavior a week ago. All new growth has a curl.

Colorado weather has been weird this year. We have had flooding, hail, tornadoes, and cool cloudy weather. I have watered when it doesn't rain and covered the plants when there's hail or high winds.

What sort of disease am I dealing with this year? Do in I need to get rid of the plant before it spreads or will it be an isolated issue?

Ask a Question