Unknown tree - Southern California - lovely-scented white flowers with unusual petals

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I live in Southern California and my boyfriend and I have encountered this particular tree in two separate places (once in a neighborhood, and once in the parking lot of a veterinary clinic). My boyfriend loves the scent of this tree and I would love to figure out what it is. I've tried the plant identification app PictureThis, but it keeps insisting it's a magnolia tree or a soursop (flowers don't match in either case).

The blooms smell wonderful, if that helps in identification along with the pics XD

I have included pics of the tree itself (boyfriend for scale), and some closeups of the flowers/leaves/budding flowers.

Thank you!

IMG-5802.JPG
IMG-5804.JPG
IMG-5810.JPG
IMG-5809.JPG
IMG-5805.JPG
IMG-5803.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is a White Champaca, Magnolia champaca. Awesome fragrance!! Fairly easy to grow, not so easy to find in nurseries. Try Armstrong Garden Center.

Ask a Question