Unknown Tree or Bush?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I bought a plant from a bonsai tree vendor at Musikfest and I never got the name of it (the woman said it was a "hedder" tree but there is no tree with that name). She said it needs a lot of light for the flowers and gets repotted every one to two years. I've attached some pictures of it. Any ideas on what it is??

IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry I don't know the name of the plant although I have the plant before. Very pretty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It looks like an Oleander--compare your plant to the ones at this website: https://www.google.com/search?q=oleander+photos&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If so, it is a shrub, not a tree. I don't see how it could be bonsai, but I know very little about bonsai.

Tell us where you are, and we can make suggestions about the plant's care. Here in Texas oleanders are planted outside in the ground and are evergreen.

A word of warning--every part of an oleander is toxic--leaves, stems, roots, everything! If you have a pet or a young child, I suggest putting it where neither child nor pet can get to it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like an Oleander--compare your plant to the ones at this website: https://www.google.com/search?q=oleander+photos&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If so, it is a shrub, not a tree. I don't see how it could be bonsai, but I know very little about bonsai.

Tell us where you are, and we can make suggestions about the plant's care. Here in Texas oleanders are planted outside in the ground and are evergreen.

A word of warning--every part of an oleander is toxic--leaves, stems, roots, everything! If you have a pet or a young child, I suggest putting it where neither child nor pet can get to it.
It could be! Although the leaves look a bit different. Maybe it's just because of it's small size. Here's another picture:
IMG_4950.JPG

The bonsai sellers were probably trying to pass it off with the rest of the trees. I live in south eastern Pennsylvania (greater Philadelphia are technically, but it is very rural). If it is an oleander, I don't think it would survive outside through the PA winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I really think it is an Oleander, and if so, you are right in thinking it won't survive outside in the winter in your area.
Wait and see of any of our other members with more experience with both bonsai and shrubs post. They may be able to identify the plant with more assurance.
Just as a precaution, keep the plant away from pets and children until it is definitely identified.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really think it is an Oleander, and if so, you are right in thinking it won't survive outside in the winter in your area.
Wait and see of any of our other members with more experience with both bonsai and shrubs post. They may be able to identify the plant with more assurance.
Just as a precaution, keep the plant away from pets and children until it is definitely identified.
Yeah, I'll definitely keep it away until I'm sure what it is. I guess I'll water it like an Oleander too for now. It's getting some yellow leaves so I should probably change something about how I'm taking care of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not a bonsai expert at all. But I also think oleander is likely.

Yellowing leaves near the bottom of a plant usually indicates too much water and will lead to root rot and death. As this is a dry-season plant I don't imagine it needs much if any water..I would only water it if it starts wilting or looking kind of crispy. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not a bonsai expert at all. But I also think oleander is likely.

Yellowing leaves near the bottom of a plant usually indicates too much water and will lead to root rot and death. As this is a dry-season plant I don't imagine it needs much if any water..I would only water it if it starts wilting or looking kind of crispy. :)
Eek! And I watered it extra today, thinking I was neglecting it!! I might put it outside tomorrow to dry out the soil a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Eek! And I watered it extra today, thinking I was neglecting it!! I might put it outside tomorrow to dry out the soil a bit.

Over-watering is the number one mistake people make with plants! It's true, look it up. ;)

Seriously it is fine to let just about any plant wilt and get crispy...they will rebound. In fact water-stressing plants is a time honored way to force more blooms and fruits.

Let that baby dry out completely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That bonsai tree is a False-heather Cuphea (Cuphea hyssopifolia) in the Loosestrife Family (Lythraceae).

Ask a Question