Gopher Plant unknown parasite?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m really new to gardening. I’ve had this gopher plant for a few months, probably since October or November. Ever since I’ve had it I’ve been noticing these white speckles develop and start spreading. I’ve tried searching on the internet but I can’t find anything that looks similar, except maybe powdery mildew? I cut off one of the “heads” that was nearly dead and covered with white spots because I didn’t want it to spread, but unfortunately it has, and now covers almost the entire plant. Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and if it’s possible to get rid of? Thank you so much <3

Attachments

• 92954DDA-99F0-4CBE-9908-495565EB4CE7.jpeg
    92954DDA-99F0-4CBE-9908-495565EB4CE7.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The plant pictured is Upright Myrtle Spurge (Euphorbia rigida), native to parts of the Mediterranean Basin. It may also be called 'Gopher Plant', though that common name is more usually associated with Euphorbia lathyris.

As for the white bumps on the plant, they might be a type of scale insect, but this is not clear. They could also be some type edema or exudate from the plant. Use a wooden toothpick or similar to gently scrape one off. Does it appear to be a small, soft insect with a harder outer casing, or is it more like a wart or dried fluid on the stem? Use a hand-lens if one is available.
The photo you posted is not at all bad, but if possible, try to take a zoomed-in macro shot of the white bumps. Some cameras are capable of this. You may need to brace the camera or use a stand. to get a clear shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The plant pictured is Upright Myrtle Spurge (Euphorbia rigida), native to parts of the Mediterranean Basin. It may also be called 'Gopher Plant', though that common name is more usually associated with Euphorbia lathyris.

As for the white bumps on the plant, they might be a type of scale insect, but this is not clear. They could also be some type edema or exudate from the plant. Use a wooden toothpick or similar to gently scrape one off. Does it appear to be a small, soft insect with a harder outer casing, or is it more like a wart or dried fluid on the stem? Use a hand-lens if one is available.
The photo you posted is not at all bad, but if possible, try to take a zoomed-in macro shot of the white bumps. Some cameras are capable of this. You may need to brace the camera or use a stand. to get a clear shot.
Sorry for the very late response. Unfortunately I don’t have a macro lens but I could *try* to get a closer up photo. The white bumps are definitely like dried fluid on the stems of some sort, not insects. The plant was pretty healthy when I got it but whatever is wrong with it has made it very weak.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is not an infestation, I'm not sure what it might be. Edema is often caused by poor cultural conditions.
To review, Euphorbia rigida wants full sun. In a container it should have good drainage and moderate irrigation. Let the soil mostly dry before the next irrigation.

I grow Euphorbia rigida in my garden where it is does well. In-ground, it is quite drought-tolerant and fairly clay-tolerant. It occasionally reseeds itself, which I enjoy. The seedlings can be easily transplanted to another location if need be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your response and help! Should I water mine less, and how often do you water yours? Is this curable or will the plant likely die?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm curious to see how this develops. Your plant is in a container, so check soil moisture before irrigation. Don't don't go by a set schedule.

The photo looks like the plant is in shade. Of course that might not be true, but if you can give it more light do so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: still unsure what was wrong with the plant, but it has gone from a healthy pale green to pinkish-red and droopy in a few months. The stems were also no longer firm. I decided to throw out the plant today because it seemed unsalvageable :(

Attachments

• FC9E7EA5-75D5-48FF-ACE8-1EE25B78FFC5.jpeg
    FC9E7EA5-75D5-48FF-ACE8-1EE25B78FFC5.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 11
  • E6C6CC48-122C-48BA-A7D6-95FA7D552C77.jpeg
    E6C6CC48-122C-48BA-A7D6-95FA7D552C77.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sorry it didn't recover. Those later photos show the plant continuing to 'hemorrhage' white latex all over. It was a strange malady.
I'm not sure if this was a disease or a cultural problem.

Ask a Question