unknown plant with red flowers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
they are about 2 foot tall...base of plant are pointy leaves and the flowers grow on stems sprouting from middle of plant.Flowers are red to a dark pinkish red. I saw them in the flower basket things in the middle of the road in harborne birmingham...any ideas..i googled my photo and it says its Lobelia but i think google is wrong

Attachments

• red flowers.jpg
    red flowers.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These perennial Lobelias are quite tough and easy to grow either from seed or cuttings, and they root quickly from cuttings. As Mrsclem has indicated already they need to be planted in boggy ground - or even shallow water. They are nothing like the annual lobelia we stick in our hanging baskets. There are quite a few varieties - I`m particularly fond of L. cardinalis.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the photo was taken of plants in plant troughs in the middle of a busy shopping high st in harborne birmingham..it was taken few months ago..they are starting to die back so will probably be emptied by the council soon.

Ask a Question