Unknown plant - maybe chilli?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a bit of bad luck with chilli seeds at the start of spring, with none of them germinating, so I planted lots, and all of a sudden they all started growing at once! I’ve potted them all up (I couldn’t bear to throw them away they took so long to germinate) but I have one rogue one that has a very different leaf structure and doesn’t look like the rest of the chilli plants - would anyone be able to help in identifying whether this is in fact a chilli plant or whether I’m growing a completely different plant? I thought I was growing chilli de cayenne but it doesn’t look like it! the first photo is the chilli plant (as expected) and the second is the leafy “chilli?” plant - thanks in advance!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Different varieties have different growth habits and different size and shape of leaves. I would "guess" that this is probably the case here. Were all of the seeds for hot peppers or were some sweet peppers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They were all for hot peppers - I am growing sweet peppers too, but I don't remember any of the batch getting mixed up (i planted them at different times). The sweet peppers that I'm growing also don't quite have the same size and shape of leaves as this one. Do you think I'll need to wait until it starts flowering to find out if its the same variety? I am very intrigued - I have about 8 other chili plants and none look like this one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They were all for hot peppers - I am growing sweet peppers too, but I don't remember any of the batch getting mixed up (i planted them at different times). The sweet peppers that I'm growing also don't quite have the same size and shape of leaves as this one. Do you think I'll need to wait until it starts flowering to find out if its the same variety? I am very intrigued - I have about 8 other chili plants and none look like this one!
Many times the pepper growers where the seeds came from accidentally drop or misplace seeds and they get packaged with the wrong seeds. Just let it grow. Who knows? It might end up being your favorite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So true! thanks for your help! I'll make sure to post up if I ever find out what it produces!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Certainly looks like another pepper, be interesting to see what comes from it.

Looks like you've got them indoors so no problem with overwintering them if it doesn't flower this year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Thought I would update you all since I've had my first chilli from the plant turn yellow! I think it might be a scotch bonnet but not 100%? Apologies for the rubbish photo, I've waited for about a month or so for the chilli to turn something other than green so very excited at the minute! I did eat a green one a while back (I knocked it off the plant) and they are spicy!

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, Thought I would update you all since I've had my first chilli from the plant turn yellow! I think it might be a scotch bonnet but not 100%? Apologies for the rubbish photo, I've waited for about a month or so for the chilli to turn something other than green so very excited at the minute! I did eat a green one a while back (I knocked it off the plant) and they are spicy!
It could be a young scotch bonnet but right now I would say its a yellow habanero.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a bit of bad luck with chilli seeds at the start of spring, with none of them germinating, so I planted lots, and all of a sudden they all started growing at once! I’ve potted them all up (I couldn’t bear to throw them away they took so long to germinate) but I have one rogue one that has a very different leaf structure and doesn’t look like the rest of the chilli plants - would anyone be able to help in identifying whether this is in fact a chilli plant or whether I’m growing a completely different plant? I thought I was growing chilli de cayenne but it doesn’t look like it! the first photo is the chilli plant (as expected) and the second is the leafy “chilli?” plant - thanks in advance!!View attachment 57405View attachment 57406
It looks a lot like my habaneros

Ask a Question