UK first-ever 'Red' Warning" for Heat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I go run in the heat of the day and after doing that for a while you get use to just being in the heat, so doing garden work in the middle of the day is no problem:p
Depends a bit what you are doing. Some things would be no problem for you, but might be for your plants. My experience is that they seem to react less if they get 'interfered' with in the morning or evening, so I do jobs like picking produce, pruning, and even watering, then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
  • The Met Office official maximum temperature ever recorded in the UK was set in Faversham in Kent on Aug 10, 2003. On Thursday morning, July 25, 2019, that record of 38.5°C was still standing and the Met Office said there was a 60 percent chance it would be broken later in the day. Temperatures around 39°C are forecast for Southern England.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Sunshine is a rare treat here. It's just constant rain and cloud and it get's worse every year. I have distant memories of normal blue skys decades ago. It was nice to see them again briefly in 2020; it was a lovely summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
  • The Met Office official maximum temperature ever recorded in the UK was set in Faversham in Kent on Aug 10, 2003. On Thursday morning, July 25, 2019, that record of 38.5°C was still standing and the Met Office said there was a 60 percent chance it would be broken later in the day. Temperatures around 39°C are forecast for Southern England.

That record was broken last week @Esther Knapicius. London Heathrow recorded 40C/104F. Much to hot for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I think the microsoft weather report is glitching, it just briefly popped up "record high" at 27 degrees :LOL: now the information has changed to just "extreme high" but it says it's broken the record! how bizzare as it was hotter the other week :ROFLMAO: Well at least some of my Tasmanian peppers are ripening nicely

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm so a moment ago the details briefly said it's broken the record for 2020? but now that seems to have gone too. It's still 27 degrees! The Daily Express newspaper headline talks about "extreme heat taking over", "continental plumes" and "tropical nights" with crying emojis next to it :unsure: Why are people crying?
I wonder, should I keep researching growing edible sub-tropical plants outdoors or not? I'm not sure if our zone would allow it during winter time but the way people are going on about the weather maybe I should continue to experiment?

Ask a Question