UK based Would like advice on what to use with the soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am looking to use a raised bed for growing carrots/onions have about 15 inch depth of mixed soil/compost/perlite - plenty of room to add more depth but not sure about using some sharp sand - its about £10 a small bag here hor horticultural sharp sand - can I use the stuff from DIY store ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use sharp sand in potting mixes for cuttings. I but a couple of bags of ordinary builder's sharp sand out with the tops cut off, when the rain has filled them I make a few holes in the base and let them drain. That washes any salts out, though tbh I usually leave them a bit longer, and if it is dry pour a watering can through them. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than horticultural sand, and basically the same thing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use sharp sand in potting mixes for cuttings. I but a couple of bags of ordinary builder's sharp sand out with the tops cut off, when the rain has filled them I make a few holes in the base and let them drain. That washes any salts out, though tbh I usually leave them a bit longer, and if it is dry pour a watering can through them. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than horticultural sand, and basically the same thing.
thanks Oliver will try as I would like to use some sharp sand for general potting mixes as well. I've actually got a few bags of sharp out back anyway will give that a go.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could, if you wish, chuck in a few garlic with the onions, but I use far more in nutrients for my onions than would be good for carrots.Rings a bell about carrots needing less nutients at the root level but also heard to use epsom salts in the lowr ground? sort of confusing??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Growing cactus from seeds can be a rewarding and fun experience, but it can also be challenging, especially for beginners. Here are some tips to help you get started:
Based on the description you provided, there are several possible reasons for the brown and dry leaves on your basil It's generally not recommended to use sand from a DIY store for gardening purposes as it may contain harmful chemicals or contaminants. Horticultural sharp sand, on the other hand, is specifically designed for gardening and is free of contaminants. Using horticultural sharp sand can help improve soil drainage and aeration, which is beneficial for root development in carrots and onions.
However, keep in mind that sharp sand alone is not a suitable growing medium for plants as it lacks nutrients. It's best to mix the sharp sand with your existing soil/compost/perlite mix to improve its texture and drainage. A ratio of 1 part sharp sand to 3-4 parts soil/compost mix is a good starting point.
If you're concerned about the cost of horticultural sharp sand, you may want to consider alternatives such as perlite or vermiculite, which can also help improve soil drainage and aeration. These materials are typically more affordable and easier to find than horticultural sharp sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Growing cactus from seeds can be a rewarding and fun experience, but it can also be challenging, especially for beginners. Here are some tips to help you get started:
Based on the description you provided, there are several possible reasons for the brown and dry leaves on your basil
I think some thing is going wrong today!

Ask a Question