Do you plant based on the.....

Reaction score
Climate in which your garden grows? Or do you throw caution to the wind & plant whatever you want with no regard to the weather? Here the climate is mostly mild, so I don't have the concerns of many of you, re: Snow, Sleet, excessive heat nor cold.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I always grow things that are on the edge of their northern range, some years they do ok, but you get years like this one where most things were a write off due to the terrible summer.

I use hot beds to extend the growing season.

018-2.jpg

Even the wind can stop plants growing, it killed off some yardlong beans I was trying to grow last year.

Reaction score
I always look at what my neighbors are growing successfully. I will go knock on their door and ask for cuttings or seeds, depending on what the particular plant is. I have never been turned down. I figure, if they can do it so can I.

Jed

Reaction score
Do you plant based on climate in which your garden grows?.
Of course. It would be pointless otherwise in my area.
One exception though, I must admit I planted tomatoes outside the hothouse this year. :rolleyes: Now this could end up successful or a waste of time. Depending on if there is a frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We have mild winters and very hot summers; A lot of my plants were given to me, but a couple I purchased. I suppose I have never given any thought to their being suitable to the climate since they were sold in the climate. I summer I water a lot and in winter I cover if there's threat of a freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Winters in my country sometimes are pretty harsh so I have to take it into consideration when I plan what to grow in my garden. Fortunately my favourite plants are roses and they don't mind cold weather:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Winters in my country sometimes are pretty harsh so I have to take it into consideration when I plan what to grow in my garden. Fortunately my favourite plants are roses and they don't mind cold weather:p

Claudine, have you ever grown new roses from cuttings? I know there are a few different methods and different people have success with different ones. I have a few stems now that I am trying to root from a couple cuttings I salvaged when someone was pruning their roses recently.

I dipped the bottom tips in cinnamon before putting it in the soil and I have them cloched while I wait for signs of success. I check the soil moisture every few days, but I have already lost one cutting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, yes, I did. I did it with my miniature roses a few months ago. It was extremely and surprisingly easy. All I had to do was to put cuttings into the soil. I watered them every day but only a little. With time, some of them developed roots - and now I have new, very very small miniature roses. I'm sure some of your cuttings will turn into roses too, just be patient:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ah, patience, that most illusive virtue. I have it most of the time, lol, but it's hard to wait when it comes to my plants! I am like a little kid checking them constantly and getting excited over the least little development.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ah, patience, that most illusive virtue. I have it most of the time, lol, but it's hard to wait when it comes to my plants! I am like a little kid checking them constantly and getting excited over the least little development.

It's the same with me...I can't tell you how happy and excited I was when I noticed first leaves growing from the cuttings I planted:D . They were so tiny and so wonderful!:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs, do I see carrots and some kind of beans in that middle section?

Yep, dwarf French beans & Carrots, keeps the wind off them & brings them on at a time when there is little else (Hungry gap)

Rhubarb in the end one is stuck there now, can't get a fork in to get the roots out.

However, the walls blanch the stems perfectly.

011-6.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yep, dwarf French beans & Carrots, keeps the wind off them & brings them on at a time when there is little else (Hungry gap)

Rhubarb in the end one is stuck there now, can't get a fork in to get the roots out.

However, the walls blanch the stems perfectly.

I wondered about that last box, the leaves looked a bit like lettuce. I see the rhubarb was apparently prize winning; congrats!

@Claudine, you should have seen how excited I got yesterday to see the piece of potato I stuck in some dirt is sending out leaves, lol. Simple pleasures!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was chuffed to bits, first prize on the first time i'd entered a show:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Very exciting! I am amazed in this day and age that those shows still exist. So many people are attached to their electronic devices and living busy lives. Was the show well attended?

Ask a Question