Turf heap help

SLT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Last May we reshaped our lawn and piled the old turf in a heap at the end of the garden turf side UP unfortunately!

We are wondering whether we could make a feature of this area and plant some shrubs on it to cover it completely in time. We were thinking Ceanothus and cordelines.

At the moment it looks like a grassy heap and I don’t know how much the turf underneath the surface has rotted down.

Is this heap suitable for planting and what would be the best thing to do about the grass currently on top ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

I used to live in Bridport :D

Most of the interior will have rotted down by now but probably best spray the top off with glyphosate and then leave it a week before planting up, make life easier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We all do these things, but even if you roll turves up to stack them the sides still tend to grow out to grass, don't feel too bad about it.
As Zigs says the inside will have rotted, so it would be lovely stuff underneath a thin layer of grass. You could skim off the top and sides and re-stack them in a smaller pile for next year if you don't want to use chemicals, then plant onto what's left or use it on your existing beds. Love Ceanothus, but be aware it can take many forms from tree to bush, and some cultivars are much more vivid blues than others.

PS. Welcome to the forum, let us know how things go.

SLT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you.
The Ceanothus i was thinking of is Thys Repens. I have had some comments from another site though suggesting that as the heap continues to break down the plants may become unstable and will be more likely to dry out and die. We are not there most of the summer so I had thought the plants is chosen were pretty self sufficient but now I’m worried. I’m open to suggestions though for something that will completely cover the heap but not spread to the ground below, will look nice but need little maintenance. I know I’m asking a lot !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is this heap? You spoke of worries it might subside, but you not from Texas :)
I am also thinking you may be away in June and miss it.
Mostly I think 'Gosh, I wish I had that lovely heap of dirt to spread round my garden'. I think whatever you plant has got a cushy spot. How about rhubarb? :)

Sorry, not much help, suggesting more work and what might appeal to me. Wisteria, magnolia stellata and forsythia come to mind instantly when I think of Spring flowering shrubs, and there are various forms of them. I have come across all of them growing on lawns, no need to take the grass away, just make a round planting hole.

Ask a Question