New turf turning yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I laid new turf back in April and it took really well. I carefully watered it religiously before cutting it for the first time about 4-5 weeks later making sure to only take the tops off it first and slowly cutting it every week or so until a bit shorter.
I’m a bit concerned it’s starting to turn yellow all over. I stopped watering it some weeks ago as I thought I was over doing it perhaps but it’s not made any difference.
Any ideas?
It was laid on a good foundation of top quality soil/compost mix and compressed down quite a bit. I didn’t add any sand for drainage and am thinking it’s maybe not draining very well but I’m really not sure.
I attach photos of what it used to look like a few weeks after laying it and what it looks like today. It’s really thick and spongy. If I cut it too short it just goes even yellower and if I leave it lovely long grass grows which almost makes the yellow disappear but I don’t want long grass.
BDD13D70-09ED-4E37-A58A-B48F11E609D5.jpeg

Attachments

• DB3D2E9F-3056-4CD7-84A7-AB5BE8E4CE6C.png
    DB3D2E9F-3056-4CD7-84A7-AB5BE8E4CE6C.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 11E9B894-0C69-453D-AE3C-BCE2A020474C.jpeg
    11E9B894-0C69-453D-AE3C-BCE2A020474C.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to add that I’m getting little mushrooms growing as well which I’m assuming suggests too much moisture in the grass and underneath.
Would using an aerator of some sort help with drainage and moisture build up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks dry rather than wet. Consider when you watered if it was 'enough to thoroughly wet to a depth, but occasionally', or It was little and often so it didn't get sodden and it was always damp'. The former will encourage deeper rooting, past the junction between turf and subsoil. i wouldn't worry about the toadstools, in my experience they come and they go and don't affect much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let your grass grow and stop mowing so much. Let the grass rest for a few weeks. Then the new leaves will have a chance for more photosynthesis. You will never know if you keep the tops cut off. Let it REST

Second if you over water with an alkaline tap water the grass will turn yellow from lack of iron. Iron is only available when the water pH is slightly acidic. Never water by a weekly time without checking the soil. Before any water hits your yard you need to make sure the grass needs the water. Adding water when the grass doesn't need it will cause yellowing.

Lastly, your grass may need some nitrogen in a complete fertilizer application. I don't know and can't recommend anything without a soil test from the lab.

If in question always send a soil sample to the soil lab.

In short, soil testing provides the critical information required to ensure all crop nutrition decisions are accurate, efficient, cost-effective and responsible. Soil analysis provides fundamental knowledge on the chemical, physical and biological status of a soil. Google

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That looks like zoysia. If so it hates rotary mowers. You are cutting it pretty low. Consider the nature of the mat it creates. It is supposed to be a thick grass not a putting green. Wrong grass for that super tight cut. You can let it grow this season an before it comes out in spring cut it back hard and then maintain. Don't do it in fall as the dead grass protects roots from winter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some excellent advice there from @oneeye ! We have had such a lot of rain this summer, and your grass is getting flooded - hence the fungus. You definitely need to rest the grass and not cut it so short, and then it will sort itself out. You are killing it with kindness :)

Ask a Question