Tulip blooms have died

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am so sad to announce that the blooms on my tulips plants have shriveled up and died. It is now time for me to remove the bulbs from the pot and transplant them in the yard so that they will come back next year. Does anyone have any tips or pointers? Do I cut off all of the leaves, or should I plant the bulbs with the leaves still intact and let nature do the rest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not an expert in transplanting but I did cut off the leaves on mine before planting them in the ground. My only advice is to watch out for squirrels. These creatures, especially in my areal, love to dug up the bulbs to eat, and messes them all up. I lost my swirly pink tulips to them last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A year ago, my boyfriend gave me tulips in a pot. When all the flowers died, I planted the bulbs in my parents' garden. This year, they bloomed again:D
I didn't cut off the leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
With spring flowering bulbs that have been in a pot (sold that way) I have waited until the foliage dies back and then plant. Keep them watered and perhaps a little bone meal at planting time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well here is the bummer...my husband, who is not a gardener by any means, decided to clean the house yesterday and threw my plant away because all of the blooms had died and he thought the plant was no good anymore. I was so sad, but was not about to dig them out of the trash. I am going to have to buy some new bulbs now.

Ask a Question