Trying To Think What People Will Buy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I seen a bunch of small plants that I have been going with the bigger plants to sell.

I'm thinking I should sell small plants in Nursery Pots.

I have bunch of pretty pots. Told my wife most people will buy in a pretty pot because they are not wanting to go home and repot a plant.

We shall see.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be tempted to go for tomato plants, seed is cheap and a healthy four inch or so plant sold at what seemed dear to me last year, plus more people think of growing food and it is the first choice. I would go for a standard greenhouse variety, an outdoor variety, and something a bit different, cherry, beef, stripey, take your choice. They will only take three months and you are rid of them and have the space for something else.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Tomatoes are the best to sell. You can get boxes from supermarkets for free and selling five different sorts of tomatoes (particularly heirlooms) in a low, open box is a good way of selling a lot.
A 3" pot is best as long as you buy your potting soil on special or make it yourself - so as to underprice the shop's price.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have bunch of different Tomatoes and Peppers. Got some Cabbage up.

Heck I got some more Tomato seed today.

Like I told my Sister I have Petunias saying I'm pretty buy me.

Tomatoes will probably go to locals. Planing on mostly Tourist.

We have an Apartment rented to our Son we was going to rent it as Air B&B but everyone is doing this so we will continue to rent to our Son.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just looking at strawberries, time I upped my game from propagating the unknown variety I have. RHS recommends growing an early, a mid season, a late and a perpetual variety so you get fruit from June to September. All very well, but the minimum of one variety I can find is 3 plug plants, and most come as ten bare rooted plants, I don't want to grow thirty or forty plants, there are only two of us. I reckon there is a market for a pack with a good mix of plants.
eg.
One Honeoye, early
One Malling Centenary, mid
One Florence, late
One Finesse, perpetual
One Flamenco, perpetual

That way you could have three different strawberries fruiting at any one time, so if one had a bad year you still got something. I reckon that would be fine if you reckoned one pack per person .

Imagine daily strawberries June to September, inclusive, pretty well guaranteed. It's a better marketing ploy than ten plants that all come at once. Unless you are a jam maker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had not heard of them, they look good, but not readily available over here. One of the main suppliers had them, but has sold out, and the supplier I looked at on Etsy is in the US, not shipping to England. I shall bear it in mind and search more thoroughly later.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Twenty tomatoes will barely feed the family. You could start with twenty and record your time and costs to see what each punnett should sell for. There's no doubt good organic strawberries will sell out quickly at store prices. The taste of the best strawberries is as exquisite as caviar and good chefs will pay a premium. If you sell them at market price you will be paying yourself about $2 an hour. They are a lot of work. Picking and sorting, packing in bought punnets, with labels and standing all day waiting for customers.
They will definitely sell but at what price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had my own small nursery here I found that the plants that sold well, and were easy to care for in case they didn't sell were trees and shrubs. I picked one catkin from a silver birch tree, and planted the seeds in a tray. The result was 106 lovely little trees, which grew very quickly and very soon filled a 1 litre pot. They sold like hot cakes, although I saved just half a dozen to plant on my land. Those are now higher than the electric wires, and magnificent.
If you can strike a few cuttings from hardy shrubs in your garden, they are also easy, and the ones that don't sell quickly can go into slightly bigger pots to grow on, when, of course, the price will go up :giggle:
Foodstuff is of course very important, but needs to be sold quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep, but we were talking about selling the plants, not growing the vegetables on. No point trying to can a tomato plant!
Well I think I'm going to raise a bunch for us. We make Salsa.

Got to have bunch of Jalapeños because my wife is making Cowboy Candy.

I'm thinking Watermelon and Sweet Corn will sell.

big rockpile

Ask a Question