United States
I love patio rose trees

Brilliant-Pink-Iceberg.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My Dad used to do lot of rose grafting back in the UK. He made standard roses - or tree roses if you live in the USA - from wild briars. He would dig up suitable piece from a hedgerow and plant it. The would do the bud grafts from a donor rose he liked (we had lots of roses)at the height up the stem he wanted. In the spring when the tip of the briar stem started to leaf out, he cut it off just above the grafts. Those standard/tree roses were beautiful and lived for years and years. Depending on the donor roses, you can make all kinds , including multi colors , weeping roses, etc. The only down side was you had to cut off or pull up and runners occasinally. I learned how to graft roses from him when I was quite young. It's actually quite easy once you know how. We had a hedge of Queen Elizabeth, I think, along the back fence. I use to practice on it, so it eventually had all kinds of different roses growing on it.

Ask a Question