Japanese Blueberry Tree help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted two 30gal Japanese Blueberry trees in October, but now one of them isn't doing too well. Yellowing and some browning all over, with more than usual leaf drop. I posted pics of both trees for comparison.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 1,709
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 558
Reaction score
Country
United States
Get a shot of the root flair in the ground so I can see for sure. I think I know without seeing but to know for sure I would have to see the flair. The plant that is distressed is planted too deep in the ground. A lot of trees come from the nurseries planted too deep in the containers for management reasons. If the new owner plants the already planted too deep, too deep in the ground the result is the effect above.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s what it looks like. Is it bad?

Attachments

• B9EFDEFE-5D46-49E8-B73F-2D0608DFF0D2.jpeg
    B9EFDEFE-5D46-49E8-B73F-2D0608DFF0D2.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it is planted too deep and that's is most likely your problem. Gently remove the top layer of soil and cut away the top fine roots but leave the thick ones. The tree can't transpire gases and is holding too much moisture cutting off the oxygen in the root zone. This is an old photo of a healthy root flair just to give you an ideal what i'm talking about. All trees need oxygen in the roots or they will suffer sooner or later.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 545
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No mention if pH is known. Alum is good for that issue if you are alkaline, a little more than just sulphur, since it is potassium aluminum sulphate. Common name fertilizer name is aluminum sulphate. PH near 7 is good I was reading so this must be a blueberry by name more than type.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I dug up the tree since it never improved. Found out there was a pool of water in my clay soil. Removed the tree and bought a new one. How can I make sure the same thing doesn't happen again? Shallower and wider hole? Keep clay inside the hole instead of new soil and compost? I notice water is still collecting in this hole since I took the tree out. Probably since it's hard clay and it's containing all the rain water and my sprinkler water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I plant the bottom of the rootball closer and shallower in relation to my ground level, will the shallow roots support the tree as it gets older?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Japanese Blueberry Tree (Elaeocarpus decipiens) is a small evergreen tree in the Elaeocarpaceae, native to China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Vietnam.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If I plant the bottom of the rootball closer and shallower in relation to my ground level, will the shallow roots support the tree as it gets older?
Roots will grow down and establish if you raise the plant or bed it and it need not be much, just a couple inches so that feeder roots can breathe in drained but moist soil. You might stake the plant until established over the course of a year or so if you go that way.

Ask a Question