New Australian Willow Tree not looking good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi... newbie here.

I bought a Australian Willow Tree from a local nursery here about two months ago for a drought tolerant project. The planting went well. Within days I saw new growth and the tree looked healthy. Now it's settled into a droopy state that I can't figure out. Here is what I've noticed:

1. The growth has slowed
2. A lot of the new growth tips have turned brown
3. The leaves have lost some of their color (though none have fallen and when pulled, remain strong)

We've had some rains this winter and I've been careful not to water it too much. However, I'm starting to wonder if because it's a new tree, it needs more? Any suggestions on what might be going on? Maybe a liquid fertilizer or vitamin complex for new trees?

Thank you,
Jonathan
Upland, CA

Attachments

• Australian Willow (10).jpg
    Australian Willow (10).jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Australian Willow (6).jpg
    Australian Willow (6).jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Australian Willow (5).jpg
    Australian Willow (5).jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Australian Willow (2).jpg
    Australian Willow (2).jpg
    329 KB · Views: 211
  • Australian Willow (9).jpg
    Australian Willow (9).jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Jonathan. :) As a young tree it's roots will still be close to the surface so will need more water until it's established. Has it been fed since planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks Sheal for the welcome and responding. No, it hasn't been fed.. real novice here :rolleyes:, I'm better with regular plants.

I set up some round pavers this morning and gave it 5 gallons of water as a start. I've been very cautious in watering because temps have been low to moderate lately and I've feared getting the soil too wet causing rot issues. Plus, as an Australian Willow, it's considered very drought tolerant. It looks like I'll have to water a lot more? Can you suggest something to feed it?

Attachments

• AW.jpg
    AW.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd not heard of this tree but I've done a little research on the internet and yes, it is supposed to be drought tolerant but that's probably when it's established. See if it picks up after the good watering you've given it. Meanwhile a good all round fertiliser we use here in Britain is blood, fish and bone, bought in granular form but I don't know whether that's available to you. A couple of handfuls scattered around it and watered in should help. This can be done two or three times a year until it's roots settle in, but not during it's dormant season.

Being an international site it would help please if you could put your area or state in your avatar box and/or your hardiness zone. It makes a difference knowing the climate when giving help with plants. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Got it! Thank you. I'm in Upland, California. I'll add that information to the avatar.

BTW, my niece lives in London with her relatively new British husband, Ian. Great chap!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome. :)

I worked in London when I was younger and lived 50 miles from it. I've gradually moved up country and am now 600 miles from there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah they're younger. They met at the Bank of Mellon downtown where they both worked. It's a great relationship. I'll probably be an Uncle soon! I live 40 miles from Los Angeles. I like being away from the big cities too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All Willows love a lot of water and that is why they are only found around water areas in the wild. They have the type of root that will tap into groundwater and live in a wet environment for years. Indians in TX used them for their sweat lodges because of the flexibility and water holding capacity. They grow wild in Central Tx around lakes, river, creek and water tanks. Beautiful Trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, your Geijera needs more water- not lots but some. Being that it's very young it will more than it will later on. Are you in the part of Upland that's sand and boulders- close to the 210 or closer to the 10? In the sand and boulder part it will take at least 2 years to establish enough to need less regular watering. Closer to the 10 the soil is heavier and it will need less water from the start. I used to live near 8th and Mountain and worked at Mt Fuji Garden Center on Foothill and Benson(sadly they're gone now:cry:).
Oneeye, it's not related to Salix at all, it's actually in the citrus family- it just has droopy leaves so it looks sorta kinda willowy if you squint just right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That plant in the photo is dying from not getting enough water and if you don't enough water on it, she will die.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted an Australian willow 7 years ago as part of our drought tolerant landscape. It had a drip watering system. We've had little rain in those years. About 2 months ago it started losing leaves and drooping. Now it looks totally dead. All the other trees and landscape plants in our yard are thriving. I now wonder if this was not really an Australian willow, but some other tree that needed more water. The landscaper planted it as an Australian Willow, but we will not replace it with another one. Good luck with yours.

Ask a Question