Tree ID

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have 2 Ornamental Pear species, both unknown. One of them blooms in the summer, but very little. The other has leaves mostly all year and absolutely bombs us in 5-petal flowers. The one that rarely has leaves and flowers always has fruit, and is around 20 feet tall. The other is upwards of 30. What are they?
image.jpg
8F88780F-A3CF-493B-AA2E-6D7087784560.jpeg

03F48725-6935-4B94-AA13-702EFE943CD6.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please post sharp close-up shots of the leaves, flowers, and fruit of these two trees.

The photos in the OP do look like the Evergreen Pear (Pyrus kawakamii), which is a semi-evergreen species native to China and Taiwan. It blooms in late Winter, shortly after simultaneously dropping and replacing many of its leaves. The fruit are small hard pomes about a centimeter in diameter.

Interestingly, Pyrus kawakamii is listed as a synonym of the Callery Pear (Pyrus calleryana var. calleryana) in some references, including the Flora of China. However, there are numerous differences between the cultivated forms of these two species, including Pyrus kawakamii having a semi-evergreen habit, earlier bloom time, and a lack of a floral odor.
Perhaps the different cultivated forms have each been selected from a large and quite diverse native population in Asia.

Some references suggest that the correct name of the Evergreen Pear is Pyrus taiwanensis, but this is not clear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Please post sharp close-up shots of the leaves, flowers, and fruit of these two trees.

The photos in the OP do look like the Evergreen Pear (Pyrus kawakamii), which is a semi-evergreen species native to China and Taiwan. It blooms in late Winter, shortly after simultaneously dropping and replacing many of its leaves. The fruit are small hard pomes about a centimeter in diameter.

Interestingly, Pyrus kawakamii is listed as a synonym of the Callery Pear (Pyrus calleryana var. calleryana) in some references, including the Flora of China. However, there are numerous differences between the cultivated forms of these two species, including Pyrus kawakamii having a semi-evergreen habit, earlier bloom time, and a lack of a floral odor.
Perhaps the different cultivated forms have each been selected from a large and quite diverse native population in Asia.
I was looking at Callery Pear as a suspect, but it did say that the flowers stink, and in my opinion they don’t have as severe a stench as everyone is saying. The flowers look like Callery Pear Flowers. I couldn’t get a picture of the other one, which is completely barren.

Ask a Question