Transplanting peonies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Client of mine is getting rid of three large peony bushes. She is just planning on throwing them out and I don't want that to happen! :(

Right now they are loaded with buds. If I cut them right down to the ground, dig them up and transplant in my yard, do you think they will come back next year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am wondering the same exact thing. A neighbor is taking out two bushes from their yard..... they are basically in full bloom now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Client of mine is getting rid of three large peony bushes. She is just planning on throwing them out and I don't want that to happen! :(

Right now they are loaded with buds. If I cut them right down to the ground, dig them up and transplant in my yard, do you think they will come back next year?
er334%2B%252863%2529.gif
, just digging around and without touching the main root, get it along with a chunk of soil will do, I guess
er334%2B%252870%2529.gif
. I always wanted to grow peonies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yay! Worth trying, I think.
I did something similar with two small rhododendron bushes about six years ago. One didn't make it, but the other did. Those are woody and peonies aren't, so I wasn't sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have had luck with just digging them up, buds and all, and replanting them. They all bloomed very nicely and still came back the next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Tjohn, dig them up as they are without pruning. They are herbaceous perennials so will die back naturally at the end of the season and shoot again next spring. There is a possibility they may die back through being moved but again, they should re-shoot next spring. Don't forget to keep them watered until their roots have re-established.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As long as they have an eye, they will be OK. I saw someone who complained as he/she was sent tiny bits of root with an eye or two in a few of them. As long as you have a bit of rhizomes with eye(s), they should grow. Once they have rooted properly, make sure they are planted shallow and in a sunny place.

As Sheal say, the top bit may die down completely, but the leaves come back the following year nearer to the flowering time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You still can move them even with the buds on them, I've moved some of mine this spring and the buds did well, just keep them damp and the should flower for you.if not the will bloom next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What do you all think about dividing them now? The one bush I want to move seems like it might be too hard for me to dig the whole thing up and i wondered if I could just dig up a section of it....

And does anyone know what the two tall plants on the left side of the photo are?

Attachments

• IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What do you all think about dividing them now? The one bush I want to move seems like it might be too hard for me to dig the whole thing up and i wondered if I could just dig up a section of it....

And does anyone know what the two tall plants on the left side of the photo are?

You can just dig up part of it, just shove your shovel down the center and cut in half and dig out the part you want. Peonies can take a lot of abuse and keep growing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary I agree with you.

Of course, the more eyes the better. Just to show how bad this company was - to send a root the size of the a £2 coin with one eye. I told the person to ask for a refund. But that person never showed any gratitude or response. If you're VERY good, one eye is possible.. not desirable though..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary I agree with you.

Of course, the more eyes the better. Just to show how bad this company was - to send a root the size of the a £2 coin with one eye. I told the person to ask for a refund. But that person never showed any gratitude or response. If you're VERY good, one eye is possible.. not desirable though..

I'll take one eye just because it a peony and their one of my fav. flowers :)

Ask a Question