Transplanting peonies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks all! This is encouraging. It will probably be a couple of weeks at least before i get them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I'm not sure how many "eyes" I got but as you can see these were good-sized plants, I got them yesterday. Just two, as she decided to keep one.

Probably dug out a good 2-3 gallons of dirt to accommodate the roots. Added a bit of sugar to the fill-back soil. Packed the dirt in thoroughly and gave them a good long soak. Then it rained on and off. Planted them early morning (I know night is better but they were calling for clouds and showers all day.) Mulched.

Eek! They don't look very happy right now! I'm hoping they come back and bloom this year, there are lots of buds.
20170604_163823.jpg
20170604_163818.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How deep did you plant them ? if you plant them to deep they won't bloom well, The should be planted like iris with some of the top of the roots showing.Each steam is coming from one eye, looks like you have 6 or 7 eyes if not more. You got your self a nice set of peonies. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How deep did you plant them ? if you plant them to deep they won't bloom well, The should be planted like iris with some of the top of the roots showing.Each steam is coming from one eye, looks like you have 6 or 7 eyes if not more. You got your self a nice set of peonies. (y)

Whoops. I didn't plant them like iris. I covered all the roots well. Do you think I should scrape back some of the soil and mulch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would remove a little of the soil and much just so some of the top of the roots show.In 3 years by the looks of the plants you can separate them and have 4 plants or just let them get thicker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks @Fernsdaddy, I scraped the mulch and soil back so it's barely covering the roots. The plants still look like they are basically dying. :( I'll give them a few days and if no improvement, I'll cut them down to the ground. I know this is not a great time of year to transplant them and I am sure they'll come back next year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks @Fernsdaddy, I scraped the mulch and soil back so it's barely covering the roots. The plants still look like they are basically dying. :( I'll give them a few days and if no improvement, I'll cut them down to the ground. I know this is not a great time of year to transplant them and I am sure they'll come back next year!

I transplanted about 15 peonies this spring, if its still cool they do OK, It won't hurt you peony to cut the back to about 2 inches above the ground.in fact it would give them time to send out new roots for next year.

Ask a Question