Too much rain!

Reaction score
We've been getting so much rain lately that my vegetable garden has been like a swamp. The soil has pretty decent drainage, but it is just too soaked to deal with the water. Luckily, the last few days have been dry, but the sun isn't that bright and the temps have been much lower than normal. My plants are suffering.

I was thinking that next year I may make some raised garden beds and place some small gravel underneath the topsoil. My luck, we'll have a drought. :(

Has anyone done anything like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We had that in June and it was too much for my strawberries; once the rain stopped the sun finished them off. Now we're on the verge of being waterlogged again and it looks like I am losing some of the cabbage. (Sigh) Just when I finally seemed to win the battle with the snails and worms that had been eating it every time I nursed it back to health.

Reaction score
We had a very rainy summer season which is unusual. Normally we are suffering from a drought this time of year. We didn't even bother with our main garden this year. It was too messy. We have a few tomatoes growing around the house and that is it. If we are going to put in a fall garden we need to go ahead and do that. The rain has subsided and everything is dried up again with occasional showers. Its now or never......

Reaction score
Last year we had an even wetter year and most of the local farmers (and home gardeners) got a really late start on planting because there was just too much rain. I feel bad complaining about too much rain when so many areas of the country are suffering from drought. The price of vegetables in the stores just isn't coming down this summer. Oh, boy...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sympathies, my veg garden was a wash out last year, second wettest on record in the UK.

Tried growing Water Cress?

Reaction score
I had to do a little Google search about growing watercress. Well, now that would be a good crop for this year. :) Actually, though, we don't have quite enough water for that. I didn't realize it was an aquatic type plant. We don't even see much of it here in the states in the grocery stores. I'm not sure why. I have eaten it before and it's very tasty.

Reaction score
I haven't done the raised beds since usually we have dryer summers here too. This year was a bit crazy for us tho too. We had massive amounts of rain in June, then July was just brutally hot and then August has been a little cooler then normal. My plants didn't die surprisingly, but the only thing that I actually got to grow right and ripen on my plants were my cucumbers and a couple peppers. My tomatoes took forever to flower tho now I do have some green ones that won't ripen.

Crazy weather!

Reaction score
Last year we had an even wetter year and most of the local farmers (and home gardeners) got a really late start on planting because there was just too much rain. I feel bad complaining about too much rain when so many areas of the country are suffering from drought. The price of vegetables in the stores just isn't coming down this summer. Oh, boy...
Our farmers are having a hard time this year. Lots of crops have become water logged and the farmers market does not have as much to offer It is quite the shame.

Reaction score
Yes, it has been a couple years in a row that we were hit with a lot of rain right as the planting season got underway. The rain has eased up now and the sun has been shining this week. Hopefully I will get over to the farmer's market this coming Saturday and get some heirloom tomatoes! Yum!

Reaction score
Yes, it has been a couple years in a row that we were hit with a lot of rain right as the planting season got underway. The rain has eased up now and the sun has been shining this week. Hopefully I will get over to the farmer's market this coming Saturday and get some heirloom tomatoes! Yum!

This has been the first year that we have had to worry about it too much. I would love a wonderful tomato sandwich right now with some big delicious heirloom tomatoes! Good luck at finding some!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One thing we noticed about last year was that the Potatoes had too much water, normally i'd par boil them for 10 minutes before roasting, but because they'd been waterlogged they would just fall apart. I'd end up with roast mash :rolleyes:

Got round it by putting them straight in the oven without par boiling.

Ask a Question