blueberries in Michigan, too much sun? rain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been raining the past 3 days here. My blueberries that I recently moved outside have not reacted well.

I have read a few things about pH being off with blueberries.

Can someone help me diagnose and treat these?

I have attached some pictures of both blueberry plants.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20150517_121318.jpg
    20150517_121318.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 444
  • 20150517_121313.jpg
    20150517_121313.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 420
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi scotty, not a berry grower myself but I do know how much rain we've been having in Michigan recently and wonder if your pots have adequate drainage? If not, make sure the soil gets a way to dry out before the roots start rotting.

Or perhaps they could have benefited from a hardening-off period instead of being plunked outside to handle the spring elements. If they've been accustomed to a fairly constant temperature and humidity level indoors until now, our somewhat volatile spring weather might have them struggling some. I have several house plants that spend summers outside, but I have to be gradual about it or they wilt and start turning brown, just like in your photos.

I just googled and apparently blueberries need very acidic soil. Don't know where you are in Michigan but here in Genesee county the MSU extension will do soil testing for free, or a very nominal charge. Google your county + MSU extension.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi scotty, not a berry grower myself but I do know how much rain we've been having in Michigan recently and wonder if your pots have adequate drainage? If not, make sure the soil gets a way to dry out before the roots start rotting.

Or perhaps they could have benefited from a hardening-off period instead of being plunked outside to handle the spring elements. If they've been accustomed to a fairly constant temperature and humidity level indoors until now, our somewhat volatile spring weather might have them struggling some. I have several house plants that spend summers outside, but I have to be gradual about it or they wilt and start turning brown, just like in your photos.

I just googled and apparently blueberries need very acidic soil. Don't know where you are in Michigan but here in Genesee county the MSU extension will do soil testing for free, or a very nominal charge. Google your county + MSU extension.

Thank you so much. You've been super helpful.
I used potting soil and rocks in the bottom of all of my pots to facilitate sufficient drainage.

But I believe you are correct, I will remember next year that I should be gradual about taking my plants outside.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you so much. You've been super helpful.
I used potting soil and rocks in the bottom of all of my pots to facilitate sufficient drainage.

But I believe you are correct, I will remember next year that I should be gradual about taking my plants outside.

Thanks again

I hope your blueberries end up thriving! I am guessing they're pretty resilient plants being perennials and fairly common in MI so hopefully they will do great once you have them in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am in lower Michigan, and I agree that we have too much rain already. Though I have never planted blueberry here, but I know the rain have stunt the growing process of my irises too. They use to be at least 4 feet tall before having flowers, but this year they are at about 2-3 feet tall and already flowering.

Good luck with your blueberry plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd add sand to the potting mix. Blueberries like acidic soil and grow in pine forests in sand. Sand will also help keep them from getting too wet by adding drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its been a bad year for blue berries, its been cool and rainy. Blueberries like lots of sun and warm weather or at least mine do, this year I only had one bush bloom and set berries and every few at that, I feed them Miracid in the spring when they start to grow and again mid summer and then late fall before the first frost. This will be the first year that I can,t freeze berries for the winter because there won't be enough of them. :(

Ask a Question