I would like to try growing Blueberries

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do Blueberry need special care or are they easy to grow?
Any particular kind I should look for?
Any overall thoughts or suggestion will be very appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Blueberries like acid soil (I learned this the hard way). They aren't particularly difficult to grow, and there are several varieties that do well in containers or in-ground. There are highbush and lowbush blueberries.
Since we can't grow them in our alkaline soil, I have no other information to offer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only two kinds I've seen so far are: the early crop, and the late crop, I was thinking of getting one of each to extend the harvest season...I'm thinking the birds agree
smyes.gif

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Blueberry - not difficult at all. You just need to use ericaceous soil and rainwater. I don't fuss over them, and they still fruit. Last year I have a reasonably good crops. @Logan will tell you more as she's very good with her fruits.

I never really bother about the pH, I just top up the compost with ericaceous compost. You can use composted pine needles or leaves shredded and then well decomposted, and they will love it. I am sure a bit of pond water will do them a bit of good.

Please have a look here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=85

Duke, Patriot, Spartan are very common ones. Have a look at AGM (Award of Garden Merit) holders as they are good rated after trials as plants doing well in most gardens. You do have a competitor - birds. Might be a good idea to invest in a net or some sort of cage. But don't let this put you off. Birds in my garden are too snobbish to eat my blueberries.

I have Patriot, Bluecrop, and some others. Patriot has been quite good to me. I only started 2 years ago. Start composting pine needles and leaves and you are on your way!

Hope @Logan will fill you in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Peat and moss are both acidic.
Fill two large containers with either and get two different bushes from the same pollination group

Ask a Question