Time to plant sweet potatoes?

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is my first try at growing sweet potato slips and I’ve read conflicting advice on when to ‘harvest’ the slips. Anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• BF0F567F-EB65-466D-8425-438EC8A440E5.jpeg
    BF0F567F-EB65-466D-8425-438EC8A440E5.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first try at growing sweet potato slips and I’ve read conflicting advice on when to ‘harvest’ the slips. Anyone have any advice?
ASAP It's already a tad late for 9b. They are warm/hot weather plants. Get a super sharp knife and slice off each slip with a little bit of the potato skin and meat. Just a little bit, plant and keep moist.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Good looking slips. Your area is ideal. I grow in 5B and the season is usually a bit too short. Leave them in the ground as long as possible, I am limited by frost probably the end of September. I cut the slip leaving a bit of the mother potato. They are great survivors and spread out considerably. Mark the seed slip so you can dig at the center of the mass in a few months. Rabbits love them so if you have some put a fence around the bed.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Good looking slips. Your area is ideal. I grow in 5B and the season is usually a bit too short. Leave them in the ground as long as possible, I am limited by frost probably the end of September. I cut the slip leaving a bit of the mother potato. They are great survivors and spread out considerably. Mark the seed slip so you can dig at the center of the mass in a few months. Rabbits love them so if you have some put a fence around the bed.
Luckily, I have a wall enclosing my backyard, so no 4 legged creatures. You’ll see angry Mike come out in the fall when I overseed my grass and the rats with wings swarm my yard though.

When you say, ‘Mark the seed slip...’ what do you mean?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Put a stake marking the slip for later finding. The vegetation takes over and the harvest is around the seed slip in about a foot diameter. A good crop is around 5 pounds from one slip. You may get more being in a warm 9 zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Curious where you all get slips? I can only find starter plants or bare roots and they seem to be slow starters. We will see at harvest time I guess, but I'd love to find slips (seed potatoes?).

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Curious where you all get slips? I can only find starter plants or bare roots and they seem to be slow starters. We will see at harvest time I guess, but I'd love to find slips (seed potatoes?).

I just grew mine from a store bought sweet potato. Cut them in half and put them in water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/May 2019/5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips/HTML/ 5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips
Sweet potato slips were produced from a purchased supermarket tuber. The potato was placed in water,and light and allowed to grow for about a month. They were then placed in a growing pot and will allowed to grow for about a month. They will be about 4 inches high and then will be planted outdoors when it is warm about 24 May in my area, Zone 5. Even these small slips will grow without further pot growing. I expect 3 to 5 pounds from each plant depending much upon warm weather. Harvest is late Fall.
dsc_0112_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Any slip grows. Basically a slip is a bare root.The slips grow slowly at first then they want to take over after getting established. When I grow the slips I leave a bit of the mother potato, for no good reason.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Chuck good call on needing to plant these now. Some already have roots!

Attachments

• 4E019C92-4947-43B0-8EC6-8B9BAF7CF33C.jpeg
    4E019C92-4947-43B0-8EC6-8B9BAF7CF33C.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 157

Ask a Question