This baby pepper plant is very floppy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya everyone hope you are all well and are having a lovely weekend. I have gone to see my baby pepper plant this morning and it has flopped over. The main stem is slightly browning where the flop begins, any ideas of what to do? Anything will be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• 7F995CFC-B548-4C52-B9AB-D8F073515DA8.jpeg
    7F995CFC-B548-4C52-B9AB-D8F073515DA8.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1DBB38CF-BB0B-4E16-8D28-E578D51CF959.jpeg
    1DBB38CF-BB0B-4E16-8D28-E578D51CF959.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 15
  • 45079CEF-AB52-4C57-A903-F3F1CB64E19A.jpeg
    45079CEF-AB52-4C57-A903-F3F1CB64E19A.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5FE528FE-4F50-433C-A3E4-640D7DE784FC.jpeg
    5FE528FE-4F50-433C-A3E4-640D7DE784FC.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, well I feel at first I was over watering! And the soil was taking a very long time to dry out like with the rest of my plants, now I’m starting to try and water only when the soil gets dry in attempts to not over water seedlings any advice? Thank you xx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We have a winner.
I suspect your chilli's roots have rotted, & that what Chuck is actually seeing is the stem ROTTING near soil level.
The surface of soil is subject to evaporation, so is not a good guide to what is going on underneath.
If you can get your finger in to the second knuckle & it's still dry, then water NOT before!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright amazing thank you so much!!! That’s what I’m going to do and I will let ya know if the other stems start rotting! Some of my tomato leaves are quite dry however the soil is wet? Is that normal ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Alright amazing thank you so much!!! That’s what I’m going to do and I will let ya know if the other stems start rotting! Some of my tomato leaves are quite dry however the soil is wet? Is that normal ?
Well, think about it.
Your plants roots breathe, drink & take up nutrients, so that they can grow.
The DRY spells are just as important as the wet, & if the roots don't dry out, they rot.
This means that, not only can the roots not breathe, they cannot drink or take up nutrients, & look like they are being under-watered.
In many cases, the grower's reaction is to raise watering levels.
It's amazing how many gardeners, especially those who don't have parents or grandparents who were gardeners & who can guide them, make this mistake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, think about it.
Your plants roots breathe, drink & take up nutrients, so that they can grow.
The DRY spells are just as important as the wet, & if the roots don't dry out, they rot.
This means that, not only can the roots not breathe, they cannot drink or take up nutrients, & look like they are being under-watered.
In many cases, the grower's reaction is to raise watering levels.
It's amazing how many gardeners, especially those who don't have parents or grandparents who were gardeners & who can guide them, make this mistake.
I read somewhere that 80% of plant fatalities are from watering too often. It is not the water that causes it, it is the lack of oxygen. Just like when a person drowns the water forces out the oxygen and without oxygen the person dies and the plants' roots rot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
okay guys thank you very much for the information! Very helpful will do my best not to over water again, I’m in the beginner making lots of mistakes stage but I will get there!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watch out for slugs too. They love seedlings. I admit, I have been heard in my neighbourhood, at night, usually about half past 10, shouting ''have some of THAT you naughty slug'' or words to that effect, as they have been popped into my salt pot. :devil:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
okay guys thank you very much for the information! Very helpful will do my best not to over water again, I’m in the beginner making lots of mistakes stage but I will get there!
No-one, as far as I can tell EVER knows everything about gardening, or EVER stops making mistakes.
Please take this advice as critical encouragement, not a putdown.
It's amazing how many folk only look for guidance, like on here, when something is wrong.
When trying something new, feel free to ask for guidance beforehand.

Ask a Question