These are my prize roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If the roses are still in their first season they won't give you a full display as they are still maturing and establishing their roots. Feed them two or three times during the growing season with the last feed no later than a couple of months before they start to shut down for their dormancy period. Although we are in the same hardiness zone your climate is different to mine here in Britain. Perhaps other members in your area may be able to help.

I'm not sure what is available to you but chicken manure pellets are very good, or a blood/fish/bone mix. These can be watered in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to visit a friend who has chickens today. Our climate zone is vicious. We get into the high 30C with 85% humidity during the summer. I just planted them in March so they are supposed to bloom until 1st frost, (I think), and our last frost was 2 years ago. We generally get into the 4C to 10C range in the winter, occasional freeze warning.
Thanks Sheal for the help, I'm bewildered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also just out of curiosity but could they need fertilizer since it's been 3 months? I mean would it damage them if I tried that first? I also may have been over watering, since I've been leaving a drip hose on for 3 hours every few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If you intend to use manure directly from the chickens be careful not to over do it as it's quite strong and could cause damage to the roots.

I've just been reading your question to Zigs about the cacti. Having seen your high and low temperatures I would say not to plant any cacti out directly into soil but use pots so they can be brought in. They will like your summer temperatures but wont survive through the winter months. I would suggest anything below 15 to 20C, 59 to 68F is risky for them.

Yes, you can fertilise them now even as young shrubs. Roses are hungry and thirsty plants and will soon let you know when something is lacking, showing signs of disease. I tend to give roses their first feed as the first leaves appear in March/April here, then again in June and their final feed late July. Dormancy here tends to start late September.

I give my roses two to four gallons of water each, directly and then leave them to dry out for a week or so. Again, our climates are different and the hottest temperature here during the summer averages around 23C/73F but that temperature is generally not maintained for more than a few days at a time. It can be hotter or cooler.

Roses are one of the most demanding plants we can have and taking into consideration climate, soil, pests and diseases it's a case of trial and error for us all. It will take time to work out a happy medium. :)

Ask a Question