There are worms in my dirt!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Pat, if I were you, I'd start feeding them with seeds and bread:) It will help them survive the winter:)
As for earthworms, I've always been scared of them and although I know that they're helpful creatures, I still don't want them to live in my flower pots:cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
And I've found that urine can be an excellent fertilizer. I found out by starting to put just a wee bit (no pun intended) around the garden...

Careful with that - it's supposed to be good for your compost (I wouldn't do it), but I saw a program where these people had messed up patches of lawn because their child was constantly using their yard as a toilet (he wouldn't go in the house for some reason).

Reaction score
Careful with that - it's supposed to be good for your compost (I wouldn't do it), but I saw a program where these people had messed up patches of lawn because their child was constantly using their yard as a toilet (he wouldn't go in the house for some reason).

Funny. I started putting it around our garden as a deterrent to rabbits and deer, and the grass around the edge of our garden (and plants nearest the edge of the garden) started growing like crazy, looking much better than the rest of the yard and garden respectively. Now, I think it is possible to overuse it, like with potted plants and such, as the plants do need more liquid than just that (such as dew and rain), and I wouldn't recommend doing it after drinking a lot of alcohol, as the alcohol probably would be detrimental to the plants, but I think back to when I was growing up and the best looking parts of the yard, where the grass grew thickest, greenest, and fastest, were along the run we had for my dog (where he would do his business), and wherever the neighbor's dog would sneak into our yard to tinkle and drop a deuce....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...but I think back to when I was growing up and the best looking parts of the yard, where the grass grew thickest, greenest, and fastest, were along the run we had for my dog (where he would do his business), and wherever the neighbor's dog would sneak into our yard to tinkle and drop a deuce....

Interesting, though I still don't think I want to try it. It seems to me there would be some potential health risk in doing that. It's bad enough you could potentially get toxoplasmosis just from having cats use your yard as a bathroom; I think it's one thing if you only grow ornamentals and another if you grow edibles.

Reaction score
There's a difference between cat feces and human urine, just like there's a difference between cat feces and cow and chicken feces (hence the last 2 being known as good fertilizers, while the first is completely useless). Talking about cat feces and toxoplasmosis, the danger there is from coming into contact with the feces and not getting properly cleaned soon enough (hence pregnant women shouldn't clean the litter box). There are people in great health who actually drink a cup of their own urine every day (See Bear Grylls - I think that's how you spell it - and Lyoto Machida). While I'm not gonna try that, I think that speaks a great deal about there not being any danger in using it as a plant nutrient booster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My father tried that drink your own urine business one time, and he's never done it again. (Someone he knew...) Urine and feces carry waste and toxins away from the body. Why would I want to put them back by drinking mine? I'm not Sheldon Cooper so I won't be filtering and processing my urine into clean water - let's hope life is never that dire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
My grandfather was one of the pioneers of commercial worm-farming. He used to sell the waste from his beds as compost (he had truckloads of it, his was the largest worm farm in the world for many years)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
That sounds wonderful. Healthy soil actually hosts several organisms. The worms happen to be the most visible one. They may seem gross at first, but they really do keep the plants happy and healthy.

Worms help cultivate the garden as they tunnel their way around. They also eat dead leaves and other particles in the dirt, and when it comes out the other end, it becomes natural fertilizer. If the worms die and decompose, they become nutrients for your garden too.

You've certainly hit the jackpot on this one. That's such great news. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...They also eat dead leaves and other particles in the dirt, and when it comes out the other end, it becomes natural fertilizer. If the worms die and decompose, they become nutrients for your garden too.

You've certainly hit the jackpot on this one. That's such great news. :D

I've never thought about what happened if or when the worms died. What is their lifespan? I have worms in my compost bins and they do a great job on the kitchen scraps. I try to use leaves for making leaf mold, though I sometimes add them to the compost after they are dry.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I've never thought about what happened if or when the worms died. What is their lifespan? I have worms in my compost bins and they do a great job on the kitchen scraps. I try to use leaves for making leaf mold, though I sometimes add them to the compost after they are dry.

Some worms only live a few months. Others can live between 1 to 3 years. Then there are those earthworms which thrive for about 6 to 9 years. This is of course assuming they aren't eaten by birds or other creatures. They lay hundreds of eggs during their lifespan, and the cycle continues. It's kind of sad, but the circle of life is mother nature's way.

Some worms will aestivate during warm weather. It's like hibernation for hot climates. If they lack food, moisture and other resources, they sleep until the environment's more suitable. Don't worry. I'm sure your little garden helpers will be fine. :)

Reaction score
Fantastic to have an abundance of worms in your bin. I had read that the worms needed for composting were different than the ones that live near our house because they have to be able to withstand the heat. Is this only for inside worm bins? It seems logical after reading about your worms that the ones that live around us would be composting too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hopefully moving our compost pile closer to the corn/bean field will help get more worms into it. I might buy a tub of nightcrawlers and throw into it for good measure though.

And I've found that urine can be an excellent fertilizer. I found out by starting to put just a wee bit (no pun intended) around the garden hoping the smell would help keep bunnies and such away. After the first couple times, we noticed that the grass around the edge of the garden was a lot greener and lusher than the rest of the lawn, and that the plants at the edge of the garden looked better than any of the other plants... I was sold. It's free and easy to obtain, and helps my plants grow better. I did find that it's possible to put too much on potted plants, but otherwise, it's excellent.
just read your post. If you use bobcat or panther urine, the bunnies will stay away. I notice that you write "weightlifting" articles. are these weight-lifting, power-lifting, or bunching. I frequently write about lifting and the "iron game".
Hopefully moving our compost pile closer to the corn/bean field will help get more worms into it. I might buy a tub of nightcrawlers and throw into it for good measure though.

And I've found that urine can be an excellent fertilizer. I found out by starting to put just a wee bit (no pun intended) around the garden hoping the smell would help keep bunnies and such away. After the first couple times, we noticed that the grass around the edge of the garden was a lot greener and lusher than the rest of the lawn, and that the plants at the edge of the garden looked better than any of the other plants... I was sold. It's free and easy to obtain, and helps my plants grow better. I did find that it's possible to put too much on potted plants, but otherwise, it's excellent.

Ask a Question