The right garden tiller!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The poster wants a tiller to turn over an 8x24 bed, and although those machines look great, a mantis will be sufficient for a bed that size, tilling to a reasonable depth to grow all veg. It also works best moving forward and then back, and is light enough to use whilst recuperating.
You'll till that area in three hours no problem, but one thing I would suggest is that you get an electric starter, as using a pull-start will stress your back if it is weak.

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can understand that hand digging especially with a bad back is just not something anyone would want to do, so an alternative MUST be found.

Sorry, I'm not going to recommend a new tiller for you, but I am going to make your recovery a lot easier and make subsequent years workloads much easier. I apologise for that here and now.

I do want to you view all the following links with an open mind, it is all about "No Dig" gardening, see, your hooked already.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1J6siDdmhwah7q0O2WJBg/videos This one is a list of all of Charles videos

This video will help explain No Dig

This video SHOULD get you all fired up to try No Dig...it IS a must see.

So, what I am suggesting is forgetting the tiller and instead invest that saved money into compost to start your no dig garden.

Steve...:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a very old (35 years or more) White tiller that has rear and forward tilling capabilities. I typically use rear-till because I can control it better, and it allows me to till deeper in one pass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a very old (35 years or more) White tiller that has rear and forward tilling capabilities. I typically use rear-till because I can control it better, and it allows me to till deeper in one pass.
Yep, I know why they called mine a bronco. It bucks on roots and such. Good times when you miss hitting the fence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Almost certain, there is another tiller thread started here, so if you want more input do a search. Anyway, My question is Why BUY it? Ask yourself a question, how often will I use it? And how long during that process of needing it. When we need a tiller, we rent it, get it from Home Depo or another hardware store. Does not cost much, and usually there is a flat rate for 4 hours, enough time to do a good size area, and no need to store it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm hearing good reports on the Lithium Battery Powered Mantis Mini Tiller. I'm weary of dealing with gasoline. For small gardens, it seems it'll be the wave of the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
For that size, I would recommend the Bronco Troy Built tiller. Its a 14 inch spread which works good in a space like yours. I've had one for several years which I use as a supplement to my tractor which I use for discing, plowing, etc. The Bronco is great for cultivating and laying out rows.

I had a Mantis and can not recommend it. It lasted me less than one season. It has a design flaw, as far as I'm concerned...the air intake is way too low next to the action and as a result sand can get in the engine and ruin it...happened to mine. Didn't last even one season.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can sympathize with you DaveZippi; I'm 71 and our gardens are very steep indeed; our rear garden had grass which was mostly moss and I wanted to do something about it. Just before winter set in I dug over by hand it being extremely hard graft with lots of stones and roots turning the grass/moss under. For Christmas Bron generously bought me a brand new Hyundai rotavator (tiller). Given that I have a constant black cloud I fondly call Blackie usually joining me in the garden the first time I tried using the rotavator it proved absolutely useless forcing me to quit.

A few weeks later the grass sods had dried a bit and again it was tremendously hard work as the rotavator bounced around scattering the sods and with lots of stones and roots still in the ground I wondered what I was doing? That was the hard part and subsequent rotavating became much easier having now removed most of the stones and chopped the roots out; after going over for the fifth time the soil was now wonderful and as I walked on it I sank in. I had removed the grass; shrubs and a very long hedge cutting everything well back.

A couple of months ago I planted two rows of primrose and these are now showing promise some in flower; two days ago I raked over again and sowed meadow flower seeds so I'm now hoping these will give lots of colour and attract the insects and bees. I was sick of the grass only leaving grass pathways which I'm now raking; spiking and reseeding.

The Hyundai kept jamming on the stones and roots; there's a clutch on it to prevent damage so after one of the tines kept being dislodged I welded all the tines in place; no more tine problems.

As I say I'm 71 and our garden is very steep whilst giving me grief with so many stones and roots but I managed just by determination; I think any rotavator is going to stress someones back just by the nature of how it works; a lightweight rotavator will be easier to handle but quite useless if the ground is at all hard; my Hyundai is about right for my use but dragging it up the mountain gives me a good workout before even trying to use it.

The top of the garden levels out a bit but middle of the garden was rotavated by rotavating uphill then letting it freewheel down for the next pass; it worked surprisingly well and had the garden been level rotavating would have required far less effort.

Kind regards, Colin.

The top of the garden seeded two days ago.

Rotavating nightmare; wet grass sods; stones and roots; who needs a gym. Forget a bad back just have an heart attack instead?

Still heavy going but getting better.

Turned over grass sods to the left.

Very heavy going with the rotavator bouncing all over the place; will the garden win or will I win?

This looked hopeless it being the first pass churning the grass sods and fouling on stones and roots.

One of the tines kept being displaced rotating on its securing rivet; welding afforded a solution. A clutch is fitted so slips if the tines bog down.

What a wonderful rotavator; like me it suffered a lot of abuse from the garden but never misses a beat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The poster's garden is 192sq.ft, that machine is waaaaayyy in excess of what is required.
Would you even be able to turn in 8ft?
One can lift and go outside the area, but that is about it. I have a fence around my garden, so the little bronco is almost too big to turn easy, but it is strong enough to make several passes in a reasonable time frame.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One can lift and go outside the area, but that is about it. I have a fence around my garden, so the little bronco is almost too big to turn easy, but it is strong enough to make several passes in a reasonable time frame.
The poster has a back problem, and a small area that wants tilling; I'm no lover of the mantiss, but it's a perfect match in this case, I suggest.

Ask a Question