Looking for the Right Shrub

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Hedges' started by Wayne, May 17, 2017.

1. Wayne

Wayne

Can anyone suggest a shrubbery that will only get around 3 foot tall, has a small root system and will thrive in 6b zone with lots of Sun ? I would appreciate any suggestions. Would like to get something by the weekend. Thanks.

Wayne, May 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Wayne

Verdun

Choisya White Dazzler.......smaller, more compact version of choisya. Aromatic evergreen foliage and vanilla/orange scented flowers in spring and summer :)
    For foliage, artemisia Powys Castle......very tactile, very silver and aromatic
    Slightly smaller is Convolvulous Cneorum.....velvety silver foliage and brilliant white flowers in summer

Verdun, May 17, 2017
    MMathis, Wayne and Becky like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Wayne

Esther Knapicius

I have this wonderful Shrub book. it has a nice grid in the back of it , showing heights, width, zones, flowing time etc. and then within a full description of it. Using a book like this is wonderful.

Esther Knapicius, May 17, 2017
  4. Wayne

Rayaustin

The Blue Chip Juniper is popular as a ground cover for the landscape evergreen shrubs. Its mainly scale like silvery blue foliage provides good winter interest. It often takes on purple tones in winter. Berry-like seed cones are dark blue, but are often absent in cultivated plants. It makes an attractive addition to a rock garden or along a pond. It is most beautiful

Juniperus horizontalis ‘Blue Chip’ grows best in Full Sun. It will grow 9-12″ tall with a spread of 3-5′. Plant in zones 3 to 8. Tolerates air pollution. Deer resistant. Attracts birds. Drought tolerant once established. Tolerates shallow, rocky soil. Very tolerant of snow and frost in cold regions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
    Rayaustin, May 18, 2017
  5. Wayne

Wayne

Thank you for the info. But I didn't get hardly any websites with info about them here in the U.S. More from the UK. Much less anyone who sells them. Does anyone know a reputable online seller here in the states ?

Wayne, May 18, 2017
  6. Wayne

Wayne

Thank you. I'm mainly wanting some stand alone shrubs that don't spread too wide. Three foot x Three foot would be about perfect. :)

Wayne, May 18, 2017
  7. Wayne

Beth_B

Two I have...weigela and a small rhododendron variety, both would fit your criteria.
    No idea about online sellers...you have no garden center near you, where you could go browse?

Beth_B, May 18, 2017
  8. Wayne

Wayne

Thanks. I do have one garden center near me, other than Wally World and HD. I just think I could browse and get more info alot quicker online from different stores before going to the ONE place available to me.

Wayne, May 19, 2017
    MMathis likes this.
  9. Wayne

Wayne

Thanks for responding everyone. I went to the nursery and ended up getting a Strawberry Sundae Hydrangea and Two Sixteen Candles. Had to get something today, so I could do the work this weekend. Perfect weather for working outside too. Thanks again.

Wayne, May 20, 2017
    MMathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question