Can plants grow on soil with a root right underneath it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So if there was a huge tree trunk root stuck in the ground and is impossible to take out, can you plant flowers or shrubs over it? Assuming there is enough soil length for the plant's root to spread through when planting it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It should be ok. Just make sure the roots won't prevent your plant roots from growing. It can impact their growth if there isn't enough room.

WindFarmer

Nature always bats last.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So if there was a huge tree trunk root stuck in the ground and is impossible to take out, can you plant flowers or shrubs over it? Assuming there is enough soil length for the plant's root to spread through when planting it

I would try it. Most plants are highly adaptable, and roots will generally crawl around anything in their way. (Otherwise, they'd never make it past the first rock encountered underground.)

If there's any worry about competing roots, I would opt for shrubs or some other rugged, spreading plant over flowers. Would you consider star jasmine? In my own experience, the most indomitable root system I have ever encountered belonged to a row of star jasmine next to my mother's house. One might think these delicate little flowers would have an equally delicate little root system, but I can attest that the roots on my mom's jasmine actually knocked bricks aside throughout their slow but steady growth, (Star jasmine also smells wonderful, and attracts bees to the rest of the garden.)

The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the tree root is dead or alive. Alive, and you might find it sending out new sprouts. I've had this happen with everything from oak stumps to eucalyptus stumps. Although it might be a nice surprise to encounter spontaneous life, a stump (or root) with enough life in it may very well choke out the roots of the plants you're trying to grow over the top of it.

If the stump or root is dead, all the better, as it should eventually rot into the ground, making for some lovely, natural compost. The only thing I would worry about with a dead stump is the reason it's dead in the first place. If somebody cut down a tree, that's one thing, but if the tree died from disease, I'd make sure the disease wasn't one that could kill your new plants as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would try it. Most plants are highly adaptable, and roots will generally crawl around anything in their way. (Otherwise, they'd never make it past the first rock encountered underground.)

If there's any worry about competing roots, I would opt for shrubs or some other rugged, spreading plant over flowers. Would you consider star jasmine? In my own experience, the most indomitable root system I have ever encountered belonged to a row of star jasmine next to my mother's house. One might think these delicate little flowers would have an equally delicate little root system, but I can attest that the roots on my mom's jasmine actually knocked bricks aside throughout their slow but steady growth, (Star jasmine also smells wonderful, and attracts bees to the rest of the garden.)

The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the tree root is dead or alive. Alive, and you might find it sending out new sprouts. I've had this happen with everything from oak stumps to eucalyptus stumps. Although it might be a nice surprise to encounter spontaneous life, a stump (or root) with enough life in it may very well choke out the roots of the plants you're trying to grow over the top of it.

If the stump or root is dead, all the better, as it should eventually rot into the ground, making for some lovely, natural compost. The only thing I would worry about with a dead stump is the reason it's dead in the first place. If somebody cut down a tree, that's one thing, but if the tree died from disease, I'd make sure the disease wasn't one that could kill your new plants as well.

Well I took out a dead juniper in my yard today and I got most of its roots but I have a feeling some of the juniper roots might still be stuck under somewhere I can't see. I was actually thinking of purchasing and planting a hydrangea on it. Not sure if hydrangea has strong roots tho

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you plant a hydrangea make sure it was grown in the north, Lowes and Home dept plants come out of the south and just don't do well in the colder areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is an interesting question, and I was firmly believe that it can't be done. Back at my old home, we had one enormous tree with huge roots taking up the front yard and even lifted the sidewalk. I tried in vain to grow grass, but nothing can live there.

Ask a Question