Only have a month to grow eggplants?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I just bought an eggplant seed packet, and something doesn't make sense. It's saying I can grow eggplants from February to March. Is that it?? I'm in Florida.

IMG_3089.JPG
IMG_3088.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just bought an eggplant seed packet, and something doesn't make sense. It's saying I can grow eggplants from February to March. Is that it?? I'm in Florida.

View attachment 22786 View attachment 22785
In your area Feb-March is the best time to plant seeds in the ground. If you are going to grow transplants start the seeds indoors 4-6 weeks prior to the last frost. They are a warm-hot weather crop like tomatoes and are planted about the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It gets too hot for tomatoes here in the summer, so I was planning to grow tomatoes and eggplants as a fall/winter crop. Is it too late to plant now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, we don't get any frost here.
If you never get frost then go for it. Just remember that tomatoes will not set fruit below 55F and rarely set fruit below 62F. If you plant transplants by July 15 you should get a crop of tomatoes. On eggplant it will take a minimum of 100-150 days in perfect temperatures. Not below 70F nor above 95F night and daytime temperatures. I think it is too late for eggplant. Start your eggplant seeds about mid December. I know it says 73-83 days to harvest but add 6-8 weeks to that. They meant transplants.

Ask a Question