The one thing I hate about fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love seeing fall foliage, but the clean up is tiresome. I don't like not seeing flowers blooming and not fond of cold, ice and snow. I think this is why spring is hope!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Fall here is a welcomed relief from the oppressive heat of summer. This year was especially hot and miserable and we've all been counting the days... Of course now we seemed to have skipped over fall and gone straight into early winter and neither I or my plants are ready for that. Hopefully the temperature will be more normal today.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
We don't really have fall. We do have fire weather in October. There will usually be hot dry winds called Santa Anna's. Any kind of spark in that weather usually grows into wild fires.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I absolutely love fall. Best food is in this season- pies, ciders, seasonal breads, ect. Hate the upkeep of getting rid of the leaves but the riot of yellow, red and orange is pretty. Plus October's an awesome month for Halloween alone haha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Funny thing...I thought what you were going to say about "The one thing you hate about fall," is that everything seems to fall. I love the colors mostly, as reminders that nature has patterns and will temporarily make a change and we need to adjust. But I simply can't stand all the falling leaves after working so hard to maintain spotless gardens and backyards. It's fun to be outdoors, but in fall, there is also fall in temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fall to me is all most as great as spring, Love the colors and the smell of wood burning stoves and fire places, gives me time to get things done that didn't get done in the summer, I hate to clean up the leaves but there do make great compost. There lots of fresh apple cider and apple for pies I make enough fresh pumpkin pie to last all winter.

Reaction score
Fall here is a welcomed relief from the oppressive heat of summer. This year was especially hot and miserable and we've all been counting the days... Of course now we seemed to have skipped over fall and gone straight into early winter and neither I or my plants are ready for that. Hopefully the temperature will be more normal today.

Amen! I see fall that way as well, the heat of the summer is oppressive and not missed. Over here the breeze is so nice, very cool! I am so happy fall is finally here! I don't think my right arm could take it anymore ;) What a nice rest! By the way, guys, have you indeed skipped fall?

Reaction score
I feel pretty great about fall. The fall season is definitely one of my favorites, though in California we don't get any sort of cool weather during this time of year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fall is a busy time of year for us getting ready for the holidays and such. Leaf raking is very annoying because you have to figure out what to do with them afterward. If you are lucky enough to have woods on your property you can just make a pile back there and they will be out of site out of mind. If not, you almost have to pay to get rid of them in most cases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
And this year is the NUTS falling year. should take a picture of them on the ground, I am not joking they are an inch apart on the ground. And then on the slightly sloppy path, more nuts, if you don't walk careful your rolling with them down on your butt. And these do not burn, nor can the ridding mower pick them up. Then you have to rake the FFFFFF up, and they don't burn. But if you miss them in your garden, they start to sprout, so extra pulling/weeding.

Reaction score
Fall is a busy time of year for us getting ready for the holidays and such. Leaf raking is very annoying because you have to figure out what to do with them afterward. If you are lucky enough to have woods on your property you can just make a pile back there and they will be out of site out of mind. If not, you almost have to pay to get rid of them in most cases.

We had the same problem some years ago when we lived in a place surrounded by a lot trees, and to make matters worse our neighbor also had a pecan tree that produced so much ''trash''. It's so hard to get rid of that kind of tings over here, we had to pay several years in a row as well. That was one of the reasons why my mom really dreaded fall.

Reaction score
Here in our place the leaves are already starting to change its color and few weeks from now all the leaves will turn its color to red, orange and yellow that is why I am always excited and delighted to see the trees with its leaves that will change its colors during the Autumn Season. Although there are the falling leaves that you will see scattering around on the ground but still I am always fascinated and amazed to see those lovely trees and its leaves that gives color and life to the surroundings and all over the place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fall is one of my favorite seasons. It's something about the cool weather that that puts me in such a good mood. However, once the leaves fall off and it starts getting darker it gets very depressing. I also love fall activities such as pumpkin picking and apple picking and making bond fires.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The funny thing about living where I live is that we still have plenty of flowers and other plants growing strong well into the winter so we don't lose any color. We have a sea of pansies and snapdragons and petunias in the garden center right now, as well as a host of other plants. I just bought two hanging basket of nasturtiums the other night on clearance at Walmart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
So back to the raking leaves topic, and the ton I have still yet to rake. Last Sunday was at church, and in the church bulletin it stated: Instead of sending Christmas cards give that money to the college fund for our members. (well I don't send Cards anyway) but I also do not believe in free hand outs to otherwise able bodies folks that can work. so handed a note to the preacher: it said, I will pay money to rake my leaves, and left my phone number. So far no calls. not expecting them either.

Ask a Question