Sometimes I HATE it when things keep growing!

Reaction score
Everything looks overgrown and shaggy in my yard, but with a weather report for a dry weekend that did NOT bother me: I set aside this weekend to get my yard in order!

Not.

It is early, I am dressed in my old gardening clothes, I got a good night's sleep and I am ready to go out there and get busy!

Excepting it is raining like cats and dogs, of course.

Everybody else got their lawns mown last week but I was too busy. My garden is getting weedy, and I noticed it last week but I was too busy. All I really DID get done was done yesterday, when I sprayed the cabbages and fruit trees with an organic spray to kill any worms. And, THAT has just been washed off in the rain!

Since this rain was not supposed to be here in the first place I suppose it will stop before long, though I expect the ground will be too muddy for my riding lawn mower or for working in the garden!

I would go back to bed if I thought I could sleep, but I am wide awake and I feel like I am up for the day!

I think I will go and cook up a pan full of bacon. Everything looks better when there is bacon.

Then I will go through my seeds, and possibly pot something up. Who knows? By this afternoon the mud might have firmed up. Then I could at least check if the asparagus is coming up yet, and possibly poke a few seeds into the vegetable garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I share your pain, Terri. We have had an unusually wet spring here in central Texas, and I have grass growing among the spinach, the flower beds are only partly weeded, I can't get into the garden to start tieing up my tomatoes, and I wanna play outside with plants!
Shall we remind each other of these posts during our long, dry summers?
I agree about bacon.

Reaction score
I shouldn't complain: Eastern Kansas where I live is in borderline drought conditions. Western Kansas is worse. No doubt all of the farmers are giggling in their morning coffees!

I see that the local hardware store is having a sale on gardening supplies: I believe that I will go once the store opens. I have some weed trees that I have been cutting down for the last couple of years and so I think that I will get some Roundup and SPRAY the stupid things!

I gave my little dog a bite of my bacon: he is inside and bored, too! Ever since it warmed up he has been wanting to spend his mornings outside in the back yard! Not today, of course. Today he could not get in fast enough after he relieved himself.

The cats are the only ones not bored: they are inside but they are cats: they are asleep!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I sympathise Terri, we've got the opposite problem here, it's been dry for weeks which isn't normal and my lawns are starting to turn brown. It did try to rain this morning but obviously gave up through lack of interest. Why is it that it rains at weekends when you're on time out and not during the working week, nature can be so annoying! :D

Enjoy your bacon, hopefully the rain will disappear so you can start taming your garden. :)

Reaction score
Well, the rain has stopped, but it appears that there was a river in my front yard. Sometimes that happens: the run off from everybody's yards goes through mine.

This is definitely a sorting -seeds kind of day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thursday and Friday were, actually quite nice, but I had to work all day and did not get to mow. Rain this AM already, with "severe" weather later in the day, followed by rain, daily (again) for the rest of the week. My yard could use a mow, but with this weather it may be a while.

I do like the water, refilling the sources and I actually LOVE the weather Mother Nature throws our way. I just hope the house stays as it is, and no one is hurt.

Be safe

Reaction score
I just hope the house stays as it is, and no one is hurt.
I used to love the rain, back when I was a kid and I did not have to worry about the roof springing a leak. I have since learned that it is a matter of WHEN a roof leaks, not IF a roof leaks! LOL! Because, sooner or later, all roofs will spring a leak. It is just a matter of when.

Reaction score
A pan full of bacon? It sounds like you got a great day ahead ;) Best of luck with everything, I hope you can start working on the garden soon. It can be so frustrating when you have all the intention to do something but you just can't for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I, too, share your pain. While I love watching the weather, like @dave david, enough is enough. We haven't seen the sun for two days in a row in well over a month. I haven't seen too many weeds, thankfully, maybe because it's been so cold at night.

On the bright side (no pun intended), weeds are easier to pick when the ground is a little wet! You have to see the humor in these situations, and try to turn a bad experience into a good one, even if it's only a little good.

As to the farmer's @Kansas Terri, it's a good thing we can't control the weather, think of the huge arguments we would all have!!

Reaction score
So far today has not been bad!

Yes, I did eat bacon, which is kind of nice.

Then, while sorting through the seeds and setting aside the half used packets (I will use the half-full packets next year), I found some unopened flower seeds that I had bought last winter with the intention of potting them up and setting them by the back door. I had forgotten all about them! So, I now have a big pot of strawflowers by the back door, and I surrounded the big pot with four smaller pots of dwarf sweet peas. I never have good luck with sweet peas but I do love their fragrant selves, and so I am giving it another try. I figure if they are in a pot by the door I can HOVER over them a bit!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same thing for us this past week. Extreme cold, snow flurries, and rain. Yesterday was the only day that was decent with the temperature for me to work a little weeding out in my garden. Still a lot left to do, and removing dead branches from the perennial flowers that are coming back.

Reaction score
This next week is supposed to be nice: at least in our area!

I got in an hour on Sunday afternoon, which is not as much as I had hoped for but it was what I could do. I will try again on Tuesday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Inconsistency in weather is seen all over the world. We too go through this and have issues to deal with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I like rainy days and I truly enjoy working in my parents' garden when everything is wet, lol;)
The weather here hasn't been perfect either. Yesterday, it was really cold.

Ask a Question