The bees made a nest at my neighbors:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I really don't want to get rid of them because I'm trying to help the bee community by planting flowers. Will removing them hurt the bees further causing them to extinction?

They are starting to be a thread to me and my family so we have to get rid of them, but does that mean the bee numbers will drop even further?

Here's a picture. The black is the bees. It's a lot!
IMG_2436.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That looks more like they are getting ready to leave on their own. Around here, they swarm around a new queen and head out to make their own home. That many bees has probably been there for a long time!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
To me that is not normal bee behaviour unless a queen bee is on the move to set up a new nest. I'd give them a few days to see what the queen does first then if It is bothering you get some one in to remove and relocate them. just keep windows shut so as not to let the queen pop in to rest in doors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Eek. (I'm mildly phobic about bees due to having been swarmed and badly stung as a kid.)

If they're swarming around a new queen, they'll shortly for a big ball of bees, then leave. But getting rid of them doesn't have to mean killing them. You should be able to find a beekeeper who will come remove them for free and relocate them. I've seen this done several times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is called a swarm. They will leave in a day or two. One of two things has happened. The first is that a swarm of bees flew in and landed there. The second is that there was already a swarm of bees inside the walls. If it is the second option then the bees will leave and start a new hive but the original bunch of bees will stay inside the walls. I would guess the second option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
:eek:
Painting client of mine thought the clock alarm had gone off somehow in the spare bedroom because she heard buzzing. Upon opening the door, she found literally thousands of bees, and a big hole in the ceiling. The whole hive had crashed to the floor.

Another client wanted me to fix a wall and figure out what the sticky stuff coming through the walls was... yep. Honey. :oops:

And on several occasions I've had to pull off exterior jobs until bee (or wasp) situations we're resolved. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I'm not at all comfortable around large bee swarms or wasp/hornet nests! I can handle those small wasp nest, and the occasional bee, but giant paper wasp nests and such... above my pay grade!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have no clue on what kind of bees they are, but my mom beat me to it and already called a bee exterminator. I have no clue if he's going to apply pesticides, or just rehome them. He's coming to tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I have no clue on what kind of bees they are, but my mom beat me to it and already called a bee exterminator. I have no clue if he's going to apply pesticides, or just rehome them. He's coming to tomorrow.
that's sad Fingers crossed they leave in morning before he turns up....Just honey bee's I'm sure. I'd canel exterminator and call in a local bee keeper... Every town & village has one

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Well, from the photo you provided, they appear to be Honey bees. Although I'd never recommend killing things to get rid of them, I wouldn't be worried about Honey bee numbers. Honey bees are certainly having issues, but they're not a threatened specie. They are not in danger of disappearing any time soon, and are commercially available. The bees in the most trouble are our native bees (the vast majority are solitary and aren't aggressive like Honey bees can be). Coincidentally, our native bees also happen to be better pollinators, by far! Native bees pollinate almost everything, often 85-95% of crops.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you could smoke them out?? Just a wild guess ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, if they call themselves bee exterminators then they'll probably kill them -- that's usually how exterminators roll:D

Honeybees are not endangered species, despite all the news stories, in fact they can be considered invasive to the Americas; however, I also don't like the idea of just killing them, maybe you can try and contact bee keepers, here's one possibility: http://www.honeybeeswarmremoval.com/

Ask a Question