Teaching bumblebees to play fetch.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lets just hope there's not a bee on the wall in the place they build the nuclear warheads
1yikestkt.gif

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is fascinating!! (y) Thank you for sharing that!! :)

Think I'm gonna teach mine to fetch a cold one for me. :)

The article said they learn best by watching other bees, so I'd start with this one. Maybe you could tie a string to it and "float" it across the yard! :ROFLMAO:
th

Insects might be smarter than we ever imagined!

Yes, and someday... they will be angry. :eek: :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I wish they could find the Door Instead of spending hours hitting there heads on my ;) closed glass window. Great thread:) Love Bee's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Incredible creatures!

Research is showing more and more that animals — including tiny insects with 100,000 times fewer neurons than a human — can learn new skills quickly if their brains are wired right.

Bees, for example, can count. They can make decisions by weighing uncertainty, and can even learn to pull a string in order to reveal a hidden cache of sugar water.

All this new evidence for bees' mental flexibility is changing people's views of what insects are capable of.

I'm learning lots today :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had more trouble getting labourers to do things than that.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
All I get is the wax :D

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:) I have found more information on bumblebee training! If you watched the video @Becky posted, you saw that the bee will expend the least energy - it moved the ball closest to the target.

QUOTE:Researchers sent some bees into the arena with three balls at varying distances from the hole, and glued down the two closest ones, forcing the bees to roll the farthest ball. Those bees then trained other bees in the same scenario, but without any balls glued down. The teacher bees still rolled the farthest ball, thinking it was the only moveable one, so that's how the trainee bees learned the skill, too.

Yet when these trainees were later tested individually, they moved the closest ball instead of the farthest one, suggesting they'd learned the concept well enough to adapt it. And in another experiment, bees rolled a black ball into the hole even after being trained with a yellow ball, showing further flexibility. /QUOTE

More here - http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/bumblebees-play-golf

:cool:

Ask a Question