The Bare Naked Ladies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well.. Not quite but they are heading that way. They've dropped a lot of leaves in the last couple of days.

P1030419.JPG

P1030420.JPG

Already on the larger of the two I can see some dead wood.

P1030421.JPG

This happens every year. Some of the lower branches turn whiter progressively through the winter. But they are always replaced by new growth at the top.
Once the leaves have all fallen off, I'll remove them. Then I can decide if any "untrainable" new branches need to be removed or others wired to fill up any gaps left by the dead branches. I will probably put a net over the large one tied down to stakes to get it to retain the "dome shape" I like. The smaller one is O.K. I got into training that one from the day we bought it. The larger one was ten years old before I decided to train it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sean, can you please post some pictures of the trees when all the leaves have fallen off? I would like to see the structure.

This type of acer palmatum naturally grows with a canopy, but it often isn't even.

P1000009.JPG

To get a more balanced shape, I surrounded it with bamboo canes connected by strong garden wire. Then connected more wires to individual branches and attached them to the wire around the canes, then over a period of months I tightened the wires to pull the branches where I wanted them a few inches at a time. It took about a year to get it as I wanted it.

P1010015.JPG

Ask a Question