Ordered strawberry bare roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have wanted to order them for months, but I haven't had the courage to since I never had plants delivered to me. I finally gave up and ordered it. I'm all prepared for it. I have the loose soil. I'm going to soak the roots in water for an hour.

Has anyone grown strawberry plants from bare roots? I know you aren't supposed to cover it with soil higher than the crown.

Until it arrives, I'll deal with these dang snails. They have been driving me insane. Anyways, if you have any tips, share them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Ive never had trouble with snails or slugs on my strawberries. Keep them good and moist and I think you will be ok. Ive found strawberries to be pretty darn tough. Just dont plant them too deep or too shallow or they wont flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you for giving me hope, Kathryn. I really appreciate it.

I have snail bait all over my garden. I put coffee grounds around my plants. I'm even going to use a yeast and honey trap tonight. I'm tempted to buy 50 decollate snails for 10 bucks. I'm just worried they'll eat my garden because it says they will take a few bites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Thank you for giving me hope, Kathryn. I really appreciate it.

I have snail bait all over my garden. I put coffee grounds around my plants. I'm even going to use a yeast and honey trap tonight. I'm tempted to buy 50 decollate snails for 10 bucks. I'm just worried they'll eat my garden because it says they will take a few bites.
I never had any trouble with slugs until I got a couple of bluebells. They destroyed them! Now I bait in the early spring when it warms up around areas I know they like to hide, moist areas. I try to catch them before they even get to the plants. I havent seen any lately. But you are in a much wetter area then I am. They sound like a menace for you. Do coffee grounds work? I read they didnt help much. I use Sluggo Plus and it seems to work well.

Ask a Question