Tangerine Tree Disease

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I planted this Tagerine Tree 3 years ago. Whenever new leaves come out, they usually turn rough and have this dark spot on them. While I was fertilizing the plan, I noticed so many of the white bugs at the root. I am wondering if that's the reason the plant has struggles so much. I attached a few pics with this post.
20190512_102121.jpg
20190512_102146.jpg
20190610_175754.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted this Tagerine Tree 3 years ago. Whenever new leaves come out, they usually turn rough and have this dark spot on them. While I was fertilizing the plan, I noticed so many of the white bugs at the root. I am wondering if that's the reason the plant has struggles so much. I attached a few pics with this post.View attachment 55157View attachment 55158View attachment 55161
Those things are grubworms and they eat the roots of plants. They will weaken a tree but the damage I see isn't from grubs. The damage I see is from sucking insects and one leaf with leaf miner damage. In another picture I see sooty mold caused by those sucking insects. It also appears that many of the leaves are yellowing. I don't know if this is a lack of nitrogen or iron but it is one of the two. I would spray with spinosad and fertilize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Those things are grubworms and they eat the roots of plants. They will weaken a tree but the damage I see isn't from grubs. The damage I see is from sucking insects and one leaf with leaf miner damage. In another picture I see sooty mold caused by those sucking insects. It also appears that many of the leaves are yellowing. I don't know if this is a lack of nitrogen or iron but it is one of the two. I would spray with spinosad and fertilize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck I used milky spore, it did not help. I found the link below on amazon and will give it a try. I've also been watering it with Epsom salt once a month. I used 2 table spoon per gallon of water.

It takes at least 1 year, but probably 2 years for Milky Spore to take effect. Epsom salts does nothing about Iron or Nitrogen deficiency. It affects calcium in the soil and adds magnesium. The Monterey Insect spray is what you need. Fertilize with a good organic fertilizer at the rate of about 3 lbs per inch of the trunks diameter out to the dripline.

Ask a Question